Teaching kids to play

Robster

Hacker
Visit site
My godson is 7 and he adores golf, I have taken him out on a par 3 9 hole a couple of times 2 holes are around the 200 mark and he has really come along as he has started to golf club at school. His swing looks impressive and the no fear approach at the tee is enviable. Anyway I have found myself starting to try and teach him how to read the greens where to put your bag when your on the green so you can move to the next hole with out holding up the golfers behind and we are going to go putting next week end as when he gets bored that the ball has not gone in the hole he takes on the hockey approach.

Does any one have any tips on teaching kids at this age as I still want to keep it fun for him and I have already got him to sign 50% of any future royalties.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just teach the basics and let him enjoy it he will soon pick things up from better players. You could invent some games with him based around putting and chipping.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert but I believe you should start close to the hole and work backwards, i.e, start with putting - invent some fun games for him so it keeps his interest and then work on chipping, then on approach shots and so on.

As you've said, keep it fun otherwise he'll see it as a chore.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just let him do what he wants. If he wants to putt let him putt if he wants to chip let him chip etc. Try and see if there any junior group lessons near you as this is how I started off and was good fun. Then when/if he gets good, be willing to taxi him around :)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Enjoyment is the number one priority,and it sounds like your doing a great job,especially teaching him some basic etiquette,i definately like that.I hope he keeps it up,and maybe he will meet my boy sometime.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
First of all do you have a cattle prod? If not an old fashioned cane will have to do...

Like other people have said just let him play and have fun or he might become bored. Encourage him to practice putting or chipping but don't push him or reward him for it. I would definately look to get him into some group junior lessons though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Let him develop naturally. Nothing worse than a well meaning adult trying to encourage a kid but actually stifling him. If he wants to learn to putt he'll ask but for now let him do what he's doing. Things like putting the bag in the right place and basic etiquette will filter into his subconscious naturally the more he does it

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
The not rewarding him is hard as I brought him his first driver last week.

haha sorry :eek: yeah it is fine to buy him things. Just don't reward him for practicing as it is the best way to get children to lose their enthusiasm. Obviously it is ok to treat him when he makes his first par/birdie/hole in 1/tour event etc!!! :D