Teachers/coaches

incatrekker

Visit site
When you do comment, do you give advice on say, shot/club selection?
If I think their plan is flawed I usually question part of it. So if I hear “I’m going to hit my 3wood” and it’s out of range I would ask “if you flush that can you reach”? Usually the answer will prompt me to suggest a layup with a mid iron as a safer option.
Also I often ask them what’s the other option you could take? I try to prompt them to take a better option without being too prescriptive.
I describe this as “risk management”.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If I think their plan is flawed I usually question part of it. So if I hear “I’m going to hit my 3wood” and it’s out of range I would ask “if you flush that can you reach”? Usually the answer will prompt me to suggest a layup with a mid iron as a safer option.
Also I often ask them what’s the other option you could take? I try to prompt them to take a better option without being too prescriptive.
I describe this as “risk management”.

And you do that with each player on every shot?

incatrekker

Visit site
It depends on their proficiency level really Bob. I don’t seek to interfere constantly as that can be undermining, so I feel more like a caddie sometimes.
When they make good decisions without prompting I’m quick to praise.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A good teaching pro will find the best way to impart the information to the pupil hopefully in a way it can be retained. I've been to a few pros in the last 20 years, some of who were very technical and others who were simplistic. The guy I've been using for the last 3-4 years is someone I came to by world of mouth and is also a PGA assessor so keeps up to date with changes in training methods. The best thing is how much it's a two way conversation and I can say after a shot "it felt ...." or "I think I did...." and he'll come back and confirm (feel v real being two different things) or explain why it wasn't what I thought. He never changes too much in one go which is great. A couple of tweaks and I'm usually back on track

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Absolutely correct. In our regular roll ups I ask each player on every shot to talk me through their plan for their next shot. I don’t always comment because the act of having to verbally plan the shot usually makes them think more than they normally would about their shot. It’s kind of self help!

I'm sure this is well meaning but it would drive me nuts. :unsure: I hope you pick your victims wisely!

incatrekker

Visit site
This is ridiculous ???

Did you make this up or do people just avoid playing with you ?

Come on let's get in the real world, nobody asks all their playing partners to talk them through the plan for their next shot.
I think you’re taking this slightly out of context! Whilst walking to his ball I may say to George “now what are you going to do?” Clearly I don’t run around all 3 PP on every shot and cross examine them all, that would be ridiculous I agree! (y)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you’re taking this slightly out of context! Whilst walking to his ball I may say to George “now what are you going to do?” Clearly I don’t run around all 3 PP on every shot and cross examine them all, that would be ridiculous I agree! (y)
Even then I'd say "you play your game and I'll play mine".
Seriously, that would drive me crazy. I think my friends would just tell me to F off

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolutely correct. In our regular roll ups I ask each player on every shot to talk me through their plan for their next shot. I don’t always comment because the act of having to verbally plan the shot usually makes them think more than they normally would about their shot. It’s kind of self help!
I had a couple of 9-hole playing lessons with my coach when my handicap was about 11. I shot level Par both times!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's just showing off
Then? or Now!

We never fully resolved why - which was/is disappointing! His suggestion was that I 'needed a caddy' (even if 'virtual') to talk through each shot, as that (his presence/pre-shot chat) was about the only thing that was different from 'normal' rounds. My girlfriend (at the time; later Wife...Ex...Late Ex) had a different suggestion! :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Then? or Now!

We never fully resolved why - which was/is disappointing! His suggestion was that I 'needed a caddy' (even if 'virtual') to talk through each shot, as that (his presence/pre-shot chat) was about the only thing that was different from 'normal' rounds. My girlfriend (at the time; later Wife...Ex...Late Ex) had a different suggestion! :LOL:
Then. Funny how with another pair of eyes it can just click. HID will often walk nine holes in the summer and just having her there and watching seems to calm me down, slow me down and let me make good decisions. Sadly she's another who has refused to caddy (or trolley push) and she isn't for turning!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Then. Funny how with another pair of eyes it can just click. HID will often walk nine holes in the summer and just having her there and watching seems to calm me down, slow me down and let me make good decisions. Sadly she's another who has refused to caddy (or trolley push) and she isn't for turning!

Having HID on a course with me would be a nightmare, could think of nothing worse. ?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm clearly lucky then. I've just embarked on a series of six lessons which began with an email from me to the coach about what I felt I needed to improve, then a pre-lesson chat talking through how we would be doing that.

Hi who is your Pro? As sounds like they're one of the good ones.

Thanks

GBC

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks a lot, all a question of what we want to achieve in the long term not just the following Saturday, and going through the blood sweat and tears to get there.

That's the second time Lee's name has come up tonight so I'm going to drop him a note

Thanks

GBC