Taylormade opportunity

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went for the TaylorMade fitting at West Hill yesterday and found it very enjoyable, if not a little intimidating. Nothing like a heightened awareness of how poor you can be when there is a guy with a camera walking around, someone from a magazine, 2 fitters and 2 TaylorMade brand reps all watching you try and hit a golf ball.

I've ended up with M CGB irons 5-AW with Dynamic Gold shafts, which is a little stiffer than my current irons. I didn't initially like the look of these as they have a lot going on with them, but actually / strangely grew to be quite fond of them after hitting quite a few decent shots. My confidence grew with them when setting up as they are so big and they felt really nice off the face.

Had a go with the P790s, but they felt tiny in comparison and the data had them performing no better than my current clubs in terms of dispersion/distance etc.

With regards to everything else, I appear to be Mr Standard, in terms of lie angle, length and grip! My current clubs have 2* upright lie, which he suggested may be causing a few slices, so going back to standard will hopefully see a reduction in those shots... here's hoping!

I didn't think I was swinging it particularly well on the day (even managed to hit about 4 shanks, which is something I never usually suffer from). But I'll put that down to the nerves and it being a little chilly!

Was pretty cool when I hit two shots to check the lie angle as I hit one flush out the center and another up nearer the hosel and interestingly they both flew straight and very similar distances. Reassurance on those poorer shots that I will inevitably hit that ball speed and direction was maintained even with off centre shots.

Ball speed is where I got most of the gains with these clubs. My swing with the 7iron was between 79.5mph and 81mph fairly consistently with both my old and the M GCBs, but I was consistently getting over 10-12 yards further distance as the ball speed was higher. I guess that will be down to the new technology they have in the face.

After the fitting Jake videoed me giving some feedback on the experience, although I felt like I was spouting absolute nonsense at times. We then had some photos and finished up.

As I am not a particularly good player I felt like a bit of a fraud at times, but everyone was really nice and even the fitter said I swing it much better than my handicap suggests (although I am sure he says that to everyone).

Very excited about receiving the new irons, hopefully in a few weeks and getting to try them out.

Thanks Jake and thanks Golf Monthly / TaylorMade for the opportunity.

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice one Woody always sound like great gigs these, glad you enjoyed it (intimidation aside!) :)

gojrno1

Hacker
Visit site
Sounds similar to a custom-fitting I had 3 years ago with TaylorMade at the Belfry, it was their Loft Up campaign with the SLDR driver, although a very enjoyable experience all in all, it was a bit intimidating to start, having a cameraman and a photgrapher around you, plus a few TM reps. They told me to warm up with my 7-iron to start and I don't think I hit one decent shot! lol
Then had a few dodgy drives with my driver, but after a few the nerves settled and I was able to enjoy it more. Still have the driver I was fitted for and I don't think I'll change anytime soon.
Glad you had a good day, and enjoy the new irons.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Went for the TaylorMade fitting at West Hill yesterday and found it very enjoyable, if not a little intimidating. Nothing like a heightened awareness of how poor you can be when there is a guy with a camera walking around, someone from a magazine, 2 fitters and 2 TaylorMade brand reps all watching you try and hit a golf ball.

I've ended up with M CGB irons 5-AW with Dynamic Gold shafts, which is a little stiffer than my current irons. I didn't initially like the look of these as they have a lot going on with them, but actually / strangely grew to be quite fond of them after hitting quite a few decent shots. My confidence grew with them when setting up as they are so big and they felt really nice off the face.

Had a go with the P790s, but they felt tiny in comparison and the data had them performing no better than my current clubs in terms of dispersion/distance etc.

With regards to everything else, I appear to be Mr Standard, in terms of lie angle, length and grip! My current clubs have 2* upright lie, which he suggested may be causing a few slices, so going back to standard will hopefully see a reduction in those shots... here's hoping!

I didn't think I was swinging it particularly well on the day (even managed to hit about 4 shanks, which is something I never usually suffer from). But I'll put that down to the nerves and it being a little chilly!

Was pretty cool when I hit two shots to check the lie angle as I hit one flush out the center and another up nearer the hosel and interestingly they both flew straight and very similar distances. Reassurance on those poorer shots that I will inevitably hit that ball speed and direction was maintained even with off centre shots.

Ball speed is where I got most of the gains with these clubs. My swing with the 7iron was between 79.5mph and 81mph fairly consistently with both my old and the M GCBs, but I was consistently getting over 10-12 yards further distance as the ball speed was higher. I guess that will be down to the new technology they have in the face.

After the fitting Jake videoed me giving some feedback on the experience, although I felt like I was spouting absolute nonsense at times. We then had some photos and finished up.

As I am not a particularly good player I felt like a bit of a fraud at times, but everyone was really nice and even the fitter said I swing it much better than my handicap suggests (although I am sure he says that to everyone).

Very excited about receiving the new irons, hopefully in a few weeks and getting to try them out.

. I was playing West Hill with my society yesterday and had a chat with Jake. Didn't realise you were having your fitting.

Sounds like a good day, and hope the new clubs go well.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Sounds like a brilliant day