Taking the game forward

Captain Shank

Visit site
It's perhaps worth remembering that golf is essentially hitting balls about in a field. It's really very good fun because it's MAGNIFICENT when you hit a good 'un - whether you're 13 or 73.

Everything else that surrounds golf - from dress code to quirky club rules and mysterious membership requirements are a throwback to a fairly recent time where the game made little effort to hide its dark, elitist heart. In fairness, it isn't unusual for organisations/movements to create Barriers to Entry to effectively separate themselves from the 'herd' - and often there are good commercial reasons for doing so e.g. membership of one of the 'professions'. There is also the question of 'Control' - an institution can seek to subtly (or not so subtly) enforce control in any number of ways - and dress code is Control 101.

In essence, golf and commercial golf clubs are now struggling with the gap between wider participation (which runs contrary to its elitist recent history) and maintenance of the status quo (which results in declining participation and an aging profile). Tempting to draw a parallel with UK church attendance, but that wouldn't be helpful.

It is unsaid, but people seem to want to exist in a dream-world where a system designed to encourage only fairly selective participation is simply tweaked to yield a wholesale transformation in the breadth of participation. With respect, a discussion around text messaging or t-shirts on the course is really around the margins - it should be about golf (courses) considering what kind of club they want to be culturally (whatever the answer is), and working out whether this is sustainable (and fun etc etc). It need not be the same answer everywhere.

Worth noting that many established memberships will resist change (enjoying the perceived exclusivity touched on above, which is reinforced by tradition and club statute) - but this is an indulgence most clubs will not be able to afford if they expect to remain in business (or to prosper).

First post - apologies for being dull (and pompous).

I'm a bit drunk.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's perhaps worth remembering that golf is essentially hitting balls about in a field. It's really very good fun because it's MAGNIFICENT when you hit a good 'un - whether you're 13 or 73...

...First post - apologies for being dull (and pompous).

I'm a bit drunk.

Wont re-quote it all but welcome to the forum and you've now set yourself a bar for posting sensibly while under the influence that you might find tough to maintain :D

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It's perhaps worth remembering that golf is essentially hitting balls about in a field. It's really very good fun because it's MAGNIFICENT when you hit a good 'un - whether you're 13 or 73.

Everything else that surrounds golf - from dress code to quirky club rules and mysterious membership requirements are a throwback to a fairly recent time where the game made little effort to hide its dark, elitist heart. In fairness, it isn't unusual for organisations/movements to create Barriers to Entry to effectively separate themselves from the 'herd' - and often there are good commercial reasons for doing so e.g. membership of one of the 'professions'. There is also the question of 'Control' - an institution can seek to subtly (or not so subtly) enforce control in any number of ways - and dress code is Control 101.

In essence, golf and commercial golf clubs are now struggling with the gap between wider participation (which runs contrary to its elitist recent history) and maintenance of the status quo (which results in declining participation and an aging profile). Tempting to draw a parallel with UK church attendance, but that wouldn't be helpful.

It is unsaid, but people seem to want to exist in a dream-world where a system designed to encourage only fairly selective participation is simply tweaked to yield a wholesale transformation in the breadth of participation. With respect, a discussion around text messaging or t-shirts on the course is really around the margins - it should be about golf (courses) considering what kind of club they want to be culturally (whatever the answer is), and working out whether this is sustainable (and fun etc etc). It need not be the same answer everywhere.

Worth noting that many established memberships will resist change (enjoying the perceived exclusivity touched on above, which is reinforced by tradition and club statute) - but this is an indulgence most clubs will not be able to afford if they expect to remain in business (or to prosper).

I'm a bit drunk.

Jeez, one of the best and well written posts I've read in a long time. And it's your first. And you're drunk!! GM, sign this person up. You sure you are not a professional golf journalist?

If I were you'd I'd retire and leave us with this one diamond of a post. As if not, the trouble is it's downhill from now on, and before long you'll be posting repetitive crap about golf shoes and the best place to play and stay (it's Woodhall Spa by the way) like the rest of us do most of the time.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jeez, one of the best and well written posts I've read in a long time. And it's your first. And you're drunk!! GM, sign this person up. You sure you are not a professional golf journalist?

If I were you'd I'd retire and leave us with this one diamond of a post. As if not, the trouble is it's downhill from now on, and before long you'll be posting repetitive crap about golf shoes and the best place to play and stay (it's Woodhall Spa by the way) like the rest of us do most of the time.

Really?? Its well written yes but I think its exactly what the problem is. Any youngster reading that would have switched off, turned on his phone and gone into a face book coma!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
but I think its exactly what the problem is. Any youngster reading that would have switched off, turned on his phone and gone into a face book coma!

To get more juniors/youngsters into the game then a way of unlocking the unhealthy hold youtube, facebook, Nintendo, Sony etc etc have on them...

Golf is not the only participant sport 'struggling' with growth due to this issue...

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I'm a bit drunk.

Welcome to the forum, well said that man!

D

Deleted member 18588

To get more juniors/youngsters into the game then a way of unlocking the unhealthy hold youtube, facebook, Nintendo, Sony etc etc have on them...

Golf is not the only participant sport 'struggling' with growth due to this issue...

Hear! Hear!

Too many on here think that there is something inherently unwelcoming about golf, and in some ways that may be right, but the problem regarding younger people's (16 - 35) participation levels is far more deep-rooted.

The numbers playing all sports are reducing with grassroot football leagues shrinking, cricket clubs folding, rugby clubs reducing the teams they put out and other individual sports like squash almost invisible compared with the boom years. We are rapidly becoming a nation of watchers not doers.

Golf needs to change but preferably more by evolution rather than revolution if it is not to scare off many of its existing participants at a time when, until society changes, there is not a ready supply of new participants.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Very frustrating as I had written a long piece about this and my session timed out ... all of it is lost.

My main points were that people take up a sport for a number of different reasons;
- how many of their mates also play the sport
- cost - both money and time
- availability to play
- role models in the sport

My argument was that golf is not a frequently played sport at a young age and you can't just pick up a club and play where ever you like. Kids need the input from an adult if they are to play golf seriously.
Golf costs more money to play than most other sports - apparell, equipment, travel and green fees. If parents won't pay, the kids won't play.
You don't need anything other than the clothes on your back to play football - someone else in the group needs a ball, but you don't need one. Completely different for golf.

I see others have mentioned role models and it is a very valid point. You will only really have a golfing role model if you are already interested in or you already play golf. Other spoting icons are everywhere; in the papers, on TV, on billboards. Not the same for golfers.

I also argued whether on-course dress code changes would make a difference or is the determining factor for someone not wanting to play golf. I genuinely don't think it is at all.
If people want to wear joggers and a hoddie, go to the driving range.
Or go to a simulator golf venue like City golf or urban golf.

But if you want to play golf on a course, abide by their rules.

I think courses should look at relaxing off-course dress codes as it would increase revnue from the bar / restaurant.
But on course? You are only being asked to wear a pair of chinos (£16 from M&S) a collared shirt (£5 from M&S) and a pair of golf shoes (which you could get for £35). So £56 to be ready to get out on the course. I'm sure that a pair of nike trainers would cost more than that.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a really strong junior section thanks to good organisation and encouragement, the dress code is there for juniors exactly the same as everyone else, the juniors all wear proper golfing attire and know that caps are to be removed in the clubhouse. If they have phones they are subject to the same rules as everyone else ie they are treated as adults. Why should standards be diluted, football shirts look horrendous on most people over 10 years old IMO (footballers on pitches excepted). As far as I can see junior golfers like to wear the same clothing as the pro's they admire, and good on them.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was interested to see the mention of elitism in golf clubs rearing its head again and I think that it is a very fair point. I wonder how much of the stuffy atmosphere, prickly attitudes and adhesion to outdated rules comes from a generation of members harking back to the old days when a golf club membership was a status symbol and something that separated you from the riff raff. There is no place for it now but I fear that some see any relaxation in dress or other standards as an invite for the 'commoners' to join up on mass.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
-

I see others have mentioned role models and it is a very valid point. You will only really have a golfing role model if you are already interested in or you already play golf. Other spoting icons are everywhere; in the papers, on TV, on billboards. Not the same for golfers.

QUOTE]

I think that it is a really interesting point about role models as well. My other sport, rugby, grew massively as a result of the world cup win in 2003. Golf, however, does not seem to be able to capitalise on its successes and it is hardly surprising. There is very little terrestrial TV coverage and what exist is broadcast in a way that would appeal to your 90 year old gran and not to someone 20 or under. Furthermore, when we do have any success, how is it used to grow the game. Most of the UK golfers live in the states and have no more presence over here than a voice on Twitter, there are hardly any tournaments over here either and very few that the big names appear at so what is there to motivate kids to play.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
-

Most of the UK golfers live in the states and have no more presence over here than a voice on Twitter, there are hardly any tournaments over here either and very few that the big names appear at so what is there to motivate kids to play.

Only a small number of UK golfers live in the States - Westwood, Donald and Poulter are the biggest names.
McIlroy plays both tours as do a large number of other top EU professionals.

If golf was on BBC1 more often (and the coverage wasn't 11 hours long of second by second play) more people would follow the sport. More followers, more players. Simple.

At the moment you need sky sports and golf is competing against a lot of team based sports, which can be more popular to follow.