Swing thoughts?!

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Having a few issues with what's going on in my head when standing over the ball! Used to feel pretty natural and not think about anything but now have technical thoughts swirling around my mind and its not helping.

A mate told me to just try and think Ernie or Couples and block everything else out as by then tempo is the most important thing - what you reckon?

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I certainly try to not think of anything swing related when I get over the ball - in my pre shot routine I'll make a couple of practice swings and think 'smooth tempo' but that's it

I know my best rounds have always been when I've not been thinking about what I'm doing with my swing - what I do instead spend a lot of time thinking about is the target I'm aiming out and what course management and strategy techniques I can use to help me

The classic Bob Rotella tip of staying in the present - ie concentrate in the shot in hand - was a real winner for me

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the tip about Ernie or Couples is a very good one.

Tempo is certainly the key for me and their tempos are great.

I go one step further and copy what Els does - I count 'one' for the takeaway/backswing and 'two' when I reach the top for the downswing. It seems to help me quite well. Thinking too much about grip, shoulders, weight distribution, etc. when you're on the first tee is a dangerous game!

JohnWT

Medal Winner
Visit site
Don't talk to me about freezing over the ball Trueblue. Last time I played a pigeon landed on me I took so long over one shot. To make it worse I know my playing partners are watching my internal struggle and I can hear them sniggering. I just can't seem to swing until I feel completely "ready", having run through a whole host of technical thoughts – don't overswing, take my hands away along the line, where will my weight be at the top? Sometimes I'm even thinking technical thoughts on the way down into the ball, such as "release hands now" and "what am I having for dinner". It's stupid because when I've blown a score and don't care any more I seem to swing freely. Perhaps I care too much.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree - far too many club golfers have massive Harrington-esque pre-shot routine that they back off and start again when a butterfly lands on adjoing fairway

these are also the sort of golfers who give it what I call 'Tour player disgust' ie a theatrical display or mock annoynace when they have hit a poor shot. Often as not they turn away waving their arms in the air beamoaning the lie they had or the sudden gust of wind that blew their ball of course arther than lookingh for a line on their ball whiuch has inveitably gone towards the deep rough

FergusB

Hacker
Visit site
I think you want to totally clear your head of any golf related thoughts and just trust the swing. Try singing a song in your head when you're over the ball, I go for that bit in 3 lions: "I still believe!"

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it's true for anybody that if you make a swing with total commitment there's a much better chance of a decent result. If your mind is cluttered with technical issues that breed self doubt you'll make a very negative pass at the ball.

I heard Howard Clark saying last weekend that Bobby Clampett used to have 40 different checks he went through prior to making every swing, can you imagine how long he took!