Swing thought advice please

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
One of my many swing faults is "flipping" my wrists towards the target at impact. The causes the club to lean away from the target and opens up the clubface adding loft and encouraging a slice. I know I have to keep my left wrist straight with a slight bowing in the back of my right wrist but am finding it feels very weird. Does anyone have any tips or swing thoughts that may help?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any chance of a video or atleast pictures of your grip. I suffered from something similar to what you are saying and it was because my right hand was not on the grip correctly, it was to far under the grip which left me prone to having the club face open at impact and not being able to turn the hands over correctly.

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
Looks like this.

Flip.jpg

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
cant really tell much from that, would love to see a pic of your grip before you take away.

I wonder if your wrist break is far too early and you are casting the club?

BTW wheres the club in the pic? :D

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
Tony, my grip is ok, yes I must be casting somewhere in the swing, you can see my left wrist has broken down. I think the club is over the neighbours fence

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lol haha.

A good cure to casting I think is to pull down on the club to start the swing, try to break the wrist as late as possible, somewhere near the right pocket.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slaighty

As Tony says it's difficult to tell a lot from the photo.

But

If this is a photo of your position just after impact then it is clear to me at your swinging the arms only and not involving your body much at all.Thus making you compensate by as you discribe it flipping your wrists.Do you also suffer from a lack of distance.

My Advice

GO SEE A PRO

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Here's a great drill that will improve your impact position. Ideally you'll need to be able to practice on grass - even if it's with wiffle balls. stick a tee in the ground right the way down about 6 inches in front of the ball. Your goal is the strike the ball and remove the tee. Unless your hands are leading the clubhead into impact it'll be impossible.

start off making 1/2 then 3/4 swings, slowly working up to full swings.

B

birdieman

Ruler drill - place a wooden ruler under your watch strap so it rests on your forearm and back of hand. Take half speed practice swings - you will be unable to let the wrists break down and 'scoop' because of the ruler - this gives you the correct position of the wrists at impact i.e left wrist bowed out, not cupped.
Try it, it works.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know if this thread is still alive, but I do recognise this flaw.....I've had it lots in the past (and still do now and again).
My pro used to describe it as "collapsing" through impact. For a number of different reasons, the only way to hit the ball and seemingly keep it straight is to keep doing whatever you have got into the habit of.
If you think about, on the way down from the 9 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position you want to be accelerating and allowing the arms and hands to come through solidly, not all floppy and "handsy".
My pro used to recommend I give lots of thought to the "extension" of my arms through impact right through to the 3 o'clock, then up to the top. If you look at Ian Woosnam (for example) his hands are aggresively extended towards the target and the right hand clearly "turned over" the left, the opposite at 3 o'clock as the 9 o'clock.
Basically, you've got to work on small swings, forget hitting anything decent for a bit, and get those arms OUT and as straight as possible towards the target. It's a "width" issue, you need width on the backswing and through impact on the downswing AFTER impact.
Someone will have drills and thoughts no doubt.