Swing Speed

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Might be oppeneing a can of worms but looking for drills to improve my club head speed without going the gym or buying training aids?

Any home drills?

My current driver speed is 100.1mph
My current 5 iron speed is 83mph
My current 7 iron speed is 81.8mph
My current PW speed is 79.4mph

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Can't help, but cue 4m posts about you hitting hit far enough already, and being better off practicing your putting.

Good luck.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd say Duncan's right there, otherwise you might be working on drills to improve something you've already got pretty good.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can't help, but cue 4m posts about you hitting hit far enough already, and being better off practicing your putting.

Good luck.
Well, here's the 1st of the 3m (somewhat disguised!). It assumes you are not a Junior btw.

How far do you hit those clubs? Are the distances consistent? Is that your 'top' speed? Or are you swinging 'within yourself'?

My big-hitting mate has had lessons from a PGA Fellow who is no stranger to extracting every mph and yard out of a swing (He's Joe Miller's coach!). His advice has consistently been to swing less than full-throttle. That's resulted in much more consistent results and distances - because the strike is much more consistent!

It's actually very difficult to increase swing speed more than marginally and maintain quality of strike (smash factor) - and a quality of strike has a far greater effect on tistance than a couple of mph in Swing speed! A 'perfect' SF (of 1.50) with a 100mph swing should (with reasonable Spin) carry about 250yds - with +/- 2.5yds/mph of ball speed. If you somehow increase Swing Speed by 10% (a very challenging thing to do; 5% is a much more realistic, if still challenging target!) that'll increase carry by 25yds, however, a slight decrease in quality of strike - a far more likely result as it only needs to be a millimetre or so in any direction off the face - will result in far greater than 10% reduction in ball speed!

No home drills - get a professional to advise you where you can gain clubhead speed in your current swing.

But if you really insist, this is the thing to do! I'd be willing to bet that he'd actually prefer to try to get your swing more efficient/consistent than faster!!

Oh and if you are a Junior, then swing as hard/fast as you can! Consistency will come but, as above, it's very difficult to increase 'natural' SS from early 20s!

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, here's the 1st of the 3m (somewhat disguised!). It assumes you are not a Junior btw.

How far do you hit those clubs? Are the distances consistent? Is that your 'top' speed? Or are you swinging 'within yourself'?

My big-hitting mate has had lessons from a PGA Fellow who is no stranger to extracting every mph and yard out of a swing (He's Joe Miller's coach!). His advice has consistently been to swing less than full-throttle. That's resulted in much more consistent results and distances - because the strike is much more consistent!

It's actually very difficult to increase swing speed more than marginally and maintain quality of strike (smash factor) - and a quality of strike has a far greater effect on tistance than a couple of mph in Swing speed! A 'perfect' SF (of 1.50) with a 100mph swing should (with reasonable Spin) carry about 250yds - with +/- 2.5yds/mph of ball speed. If you somehow increase Swing Speed by 10% (a very challenging thing to do; 5% is a much more realistic, if still challenging target!) that'll increase carry by 25yds, however, a slight decrease in quality of strike - a far more likely result as it only needs to be a millimetre or so in any direction off the face - will result in far greater than 10% reduction in ball speed!

But if you really insist, this is the thing to do! I'd be willing to bet that he'd actually prefer to try to get your swing more efficient/consistent than faster!!

Oh and if you are a Junior, then swing as hard/fast as you can! Consistency will come but, as above, it's very difficult to increase 'natural' SS from early 20s!

Thanks for the advice.

My smash factor with driver is 1.41
Speed speed is me “giving it the full whack” so I’d be looking to gain at least 5% which would really help me...especially into wind

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Might be oppeneing a can of worms but looking for drills to improve my club head speed without going the gym or buying training aids?

Any home drills?

My current driver speed is 100.1mph
My current 5 iron speed is 83mph
My current 7 iron speed is 81.8mph
My current PW speed is 79.4mph

so an alternative way of looking at this (though any extra 'efficient' ss given good/optimum launch conditions so that extra ss is also transferred into bs would always be useful) would be - a certain david toms with a driver swing speed for the majority of his career of around 100 - 103 mph) has won around a tad more than $40M - his mid iron ss okay was a tad more than 83mph but only by a few mph

so nothing wrong necessarily with looking to add a few extra mph's but only if that is aligned with a tight centered strike pattern with optimum launch conditions - aoa/tight path to face angle #'s

although a ton of folks don't think so for real the best ways to improvement is pga supervision

it's a tad unrealistic to think ss (so distance) can be improved without better physicality or specialized ss practice or without good swing motion technique

scoring improvements generally can be improved for most folks through better course management decisions better short game technique & management plus better putting technique built primarily around distance control along with better green reading decision making

also it's probably surprising to most folks how their whole game can be improved be having a good hand placements on the handle

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

Speed speed is me “giving it the full whack” so I’d be looking to gain at least 5% which would really help me...especially into wind

As I stated, that 5% could be gained by a slightly better strike! 5% improvement to 1.48 would be the same 12 yards increase that a 5% increase in SS (with the same SF/quality of strike!) gives!

Oh, and have you heard the jingo 'When it's breezy, swing easy!'? Having played on links courses a lot, I can certainly vouch for that being a truism! Swinging harder into the wind almost certainly increases the spin, effectively magnifying the effect of the wind! Play sensibly and take the punishment - the rest of the field will be having the same problem! If you really want to make an adjustment for (head) wind - if it's that common - then maybe assess whether adjusting the loft of the R15 (a degree or more) down could help!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

A 1.41 smash factor with the driver isn't great and I'd think improving that to a minimum 1.45 would be your number 1 priority.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
hit it as far as you can mate. i just won a three day comp on a links course because i was taking driver pw into greens when most of the field was hitting in 6 irons and struggling to hold the greens.

two clubs you wanna be awesome with..... your driver and your putter

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
strength and flexibility.

Focus on your core, so lots of planking and back exercised. Doesn't matter how big your arms are if your core is weak. All the power goes through your core.

If you have weights do squat; deadlifts and bench press. These are compound lifts so work out multiple muscle groups including your core.

Get some flexibility into your shoulder so you can get a full shoulder turn in comfortably.

As for specific techniques. There are plenty of aids and gismos out there. I've not used any so couldn't comment on their effectiveness

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wouldn't get too caught up in SS TBH, two of the best players i know don't hit it that far but are straight. Its great hitting it a long way but distance alone isn't going to make you a better player.

There was a guy on here before called Timgolfy, he was obsessed with distance and his SS, and that alone was going to make him a good player...;)

ive not seen him on the European tour yet:rofl:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As everyone else has said, assuming you're not a youth or otherwise trying to make it as a pro, the speeds you're talking in your opening post are more than sufficient to get you down to a very low handicap.

I'd expend your energy on improving technique - this will result in distance gains anyway.

To answer your question though, I don't know of any exercises to improve speed!

D

Deleted member 21258

You swing fairly fast and on most normal courses, fast enough to play to a very low handicap.

I went down the overspeed training route, posted on here about it a few times before, no doubt would come up on a search, picked up about 10mph on the driver speed, a interesting video link up is here :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeO_gJK3uT0

Most fun I have ever had doing golf.