Swing speed - will it improve

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
After a break of about 10 years I’ve joined a club and taken up golf again.

I’m playing not too bad now. Shooting 85ish.

had. Couple of lessons as I’ve set myself the target of getting to single figures. I’m off 19 now and used to 15 10 years ago when I played regularly.

I had a go on the pro’s studio with a launch monitor. My swing speed with 7 iron was about 70 - 73 and I hit it about 150, driver about 85-90 @nd I get about 200 - 240. I make reasonable contact with the ball (usually).

The session today was really useful. First time I’ve measured my swing speed. It seems buying new clubs won’t help me much but getting a bit more clubhead speed will.

As I’ve only been playing regular about 2 months will my speed naturally increase or will I need to focus on it for a lesson or two. Or, at 51 is this as good as it gets and will it be downhill all the way from here!???

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unless you have a lot of time to spare and absolutely no other 'distractions', then, imo, trying to get enough additional clubhead speed to make a significant improvement to your scores is highly unlikely to work! Getting better contact - and more often - is likely to be more productive imo. And combined with some devotion to practicing the short game, that's the best way to reduce scores imo.
At an old club, there was a (virtually) scratch player whose driving was surprisingly short compared to other guys in his 'swindle'. However he was monotonously 'middle of the fairway' and his iron play and short game (particularly) were top notch.
More consistency and better accuracy are the best ways to improve an 'adequate' game imo. And improving the same attributes of your putting will help too!

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Unless you have a lot of time to spare and absolutely no other 'distractions', then, imo, trying to get enough additional clubhead speed to make a significant improvement to your scores is highly unlikely to work! Getting better contact - and more often - is likely to be more productive imo. And combined with some devotion to practicing the short game, that's the best way to reduce scores imo.
At an old club, there was a (virtually) scratch player whose driving was surprisingly short compared to other guys in his 'swindle'. However he was monotonously 'middle of the fairway' and his iron play and short game (particularly) were top notch.
More consistency and better accuracy are the best ways to improve an 'adequate' game imo. And improving the same attributes of your putting will help too!
Cheers, your absolutely right about improving scores, my putting is generally poor, very, very rarely hole anything past 4 foot, my up and down percentage is probably more akin to one in a million??? short game is for the next few lessons.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Six months ago my driver went 200 yards. Now it goes 220, with one today reaching 240. I don’t swing faster but I do have better timing and connection. Every time I try and hit it harder the timing and connection go and the ball goes nowhere.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers, your absolutely right about improving scores, my putting is generally poor, very, very rarely hole anything past 4 foot, my up and down percentage is probably more akin to one in a million??? short game is for the next few lessons.

A common weak area is the half shot from around 50 yards or so.
You'll probably get better results from improving that area than trying to increase your clubhead speed.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FWIW, assuming you are in a reasonable physical shape, you can and will increase the club head speed to at least 100mph easily, without any feeling that you need to “smash it” etc. 50s is the new 30s ;)

AAC

Visit site

had. Couple of lessons as I’ve set myself the target of getting to single figures. I’m off 19 now and used to 15 10 years ago when I played regularly.

I had a go on the pro’s studio with a launch monitor. My swing speed with 7 iron was about 70 - 73 and I hit it about 150, driver about 85-90 @nd I get about 200 - 240. I make reasonable contact with the ball (usually).

The session today was really useful. First time I’ve measured my swing speed. It seems buying new clubs won’t help me much but getting a bit more clubhead speed will.

As I’ve only been playing regular about 2 months will my speed naturally increase or will I need to focus on it for a lesson or two. Or, at 51 is this as good as it gets and will it be downhill all the way from here!???

At 51 you are completely past it, spend your cash on Sanatogen & deep heat, be prepared to be called nudger and be happy when your drive goes over 150 yards, BUT enjoy the game :cool::cool:o_O:LOL:

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
You absolutely can gain speed at the age of 51, earlier this year I was giving my dad some lessons/advice & he's gained 30 yards (he's 69 years old & not very athletic). Last year he broke 90 once in a blue moon due to his lack of distance & this year it's a regular occurrence as he's reaching par 4's in 2 where last year he couldn't. Everyone he plays with is commenting on the difference in his game & he tells me he's never enjoyed the game as much.

I have some super speed sticks & a PRGR black radar so you get some real time feedback on the changes you are making I would recommend them to anyone. Most amateurs try to swing hard instead of fast & there's a huge difference a lot of it's comes down to sequencing of the swing my dad wasn't using his arms & hands to release the club & was trying to hit it harder by just turning his body faster. Hand speed is one of the most important factors of hitting the ball a long way but it has to be applied correctly & at the right time in the swing. Athletic Golf Motion do some really good videos on youtube explaining the differences between professionals & amateurs that may help you gain some speed.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hand speed is one of the most important factors of hitting the ball a long way but it has to be applied correctly & at the right time in the swing.

Absolutely agree. Mike Malaska does some great YouTube videos on this, well worth a look where he explains how the hands arms and wrists are the main factors in gaining speed and distance

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve never got 150 out of 7 iron, sounds like plenty of distance.

I‘d spend a bit more time making sure I was was getting rid of the driver shots that are between 200 and 220 rather than worrying about club head speed.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Efficiency is key. I can get my swing speed up to early 120's. It almost never goes further than my stock easier swing.

I'd disagree with hands being key for speed. They are a huge component to keeping the thing somewhat straight, but I found squats and heavy deadlifts made a pronounced change.

Bassfisher

Visit site
Hi, we’re at similar levels, my putting was terrible so I decided to get a putter fitting and lesson, spent £250 on a tm spider putter , as I spent so much this kind of obligated me to practice and practice again, very quickly made a massive improvement!

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Hi, we’re at similar levels, my putting was terrible so I decided to get a putter fitting and lesson, spent £250 on a tm spider putter , as I spent so much this kind of obligated me to practice and practice again, very quickly made a massive improvement!
My next lesson is putting. Just under 2 weeks away

Denny100

Visit site

Your swing speed will definitely go up a little bit as your swing becomes more "in sync" and your flexibility increases a little.

If youre willing to pay a little money, i can absolutely tell you that superspeed golf sticks work. Following the programme set out, youll gain an easy 3-4mph and that translates to 10-12 driver yards for you