Swing speed to standard shafts

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I have today had my clubs tweaked by a fitter.

My swingspeed with 9iron is 89MPH. My balls speed is 133MPH.

I hit my my 9 iron 120yards.

I have a set of Cobra S2's with the standard:
Nippon NS-Pro 1030 Steel Shaft
Mid Kick Point
1.7Torque
Weight 103grams

Is this shaft suitable for me, or would I benefit from a change?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Yes they are regular flex, sorry I did edit it once as I missed out my shot distance first time round.

I'd rather not say what the fitter siad, and see what feedback I get on here. Only reason being, I've read other threads where people plagerise each others posts.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Hi Happyhackersam,

I really like the clubs, love the flight, not too heavy can still manage a draw or fade with most of them. So overall really please with them.

Just looking to get every possible advantage to get my handicap as low as possible as quickly as I can.

Happyhackersam

Hacker
Banned
Visit site
I feel the same about them easy to shape and you find yourself shocked that you nailed the perfect draw/fade ! I'm just a grip n rip golfer with no short game ! But I think with your stats especially in the cobras that seems pretty spot on !

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just to compare..

I don't know my swing speed with a 9 iron but with a 6 I'm around 90 so probably less than you with the 9.
I carry my 9 iron 135-140 which seems odd compared to yours. Do you hit the ball very high?

I'd say your swing speed is in the stiff range, but other factors also affect the load you put on the shaft.

Did you have a hit with a stiff shafted club while you were there?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Also does anyone know if the smash factor relates to irons in the same way as a driver?

133/89 is very close to 1.5

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also does anyone know if the smash factor relates to irons in the same way as a driver?

Yeah it's the same. Should in the 1:4 or 1:5 range.

I have a swingspeed of 85 mph with my 6 iron and my 9 iron carries 125/130 yards.

Too much backspin robbing distance for the OP?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have today had my clubs tweaked by a fitter.

My swingspeed with 9iron is 89MPH. My balls speed is 133MPH.

I hit my my 9 iron 120yards.

I have a set of Cobra S2's with the standard:
Nippon NS-Pro 1030 Steel Shaft
Mid Kick Point
1.7Torque
Weight 103grams

Is this shaft suitable for me, or would I benefit from a change?

Are you sure those numbers are correct? 89 is a fairly decent swing speed for a 6 iron.

Assuming you meant 6 iron, which is a more usual fitting club, that is still pretty comfortably in a stiff shaft and equates to a driver speed in the 105 mph region. The NS Pro is a good shaft but more suitable for a smooth tempo player. If you have a fast or hard swing, something heavier or a bit more solid may be a better choice - TT DGS300, KBS, PX.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yeah it's the same. Should in the 1:4 or 1:5 range.

I have a swingspeed of 85 mph with my 6 iron and my 9 iron carries 125/130 yards.

Too much backspin robbing distance for the OP?

No it's less, optimum is 1.32 for a 7-iron but I don't know if it scales throughout a set (I had a fit the other day, more of which later, and will be seeing the fitter Thursday - if I remember I'll ask)