Swing plane out to in.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had a lesson today, in essence when I creamed an iron, it went like an exocet missile well left of centre ( right handed ). I could hit them Okish normally but the pulling left was doing me head in. I can normally fathom out when I have hit a bad un but not this.
Anyway I mentioned to senior pro what the problem was. After four good hits and one pulled left he showed me the problem. In essence I was swinging out to in. If I closed the face it smashed it left. He explained the angle of the club face attacking the ball is not the same angle as the club head hitting the ball. Ding. The bell going off in me head was deafening. Hope that's clear. Anyway he said there's two things we/you can do. He can show me what to do to stop me hitting from out to in, then I can spend hours a week practising it. Or, because for as long as he has known me, I have always swung that way and can learn not close the face as much. In essence hit it with a slight fade. Which will kill distance, but hit the fairway far more often.
At this stage, I said to him well that's me gonna keep quiet about "how do you hit the ball with draw". I thought he was gonna have a heart attack.
Anyway What simple drills are there if any to stop swinging out to in. Would be tempted to YouTube it but don't want to mess me head up.
Cheers me dears.

Tashyboy

Visit site
When you hit them left, how far left were they?

Could be anything up to 30 yards. Thing is Bob, when I hit them down the middle with a little fade there is a good ball flight. When they go left the flight is a good bit lower and the ball speed looks like it increases.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Could be anything up to 30 yards. Thing is Bob, when I hit them down the middle with a little fade there is a good ball flight. When they go left the flight is a good bit lower and the ball speed looks like it increases.

There are no simple ways to stop the out to in swing path, especially if you've been doing it for years.

You could however reduce it and think of it as a 'power fade' by using the drill below.
Place the club headcovers as in the video and try hitting the ball without hitting them. A slight pause at the top of the backswing helps

Tashyboy

Visit site
There are no simple ways to stop the out to in swing path, especially if you've been doing it for years.

You could however reduce it and think of it as a 'power fade' by using the drill below.
Place the club headcovers as in the video and try hitting the ball without hitting them. A slight pause at the top of the backswing helps

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to hit everything left to right and decided that as I got older I needed to learn to hit a draw to maintain distance. Like yourself I ad used the same teaching pro for some years.

He said my swing was so ingrained it would probably take about 2 years to get it out of my system. He was nearly right - it around 18 months of dedicated practice using a couple of drills he taught me.

I never really learnt to draw as a stock shot but what it di do was to straighten out the ball flight
an incredible amount such that hitting it straight is now my stock shot.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If I were you I'd try to swing properly. Go to the range & feel what it's like to swing from the inside, it's not impossible. Get somebody to video you so you know when you're doing it right & what it feels like. The most natural thing in the world to do from the top of the swing is to throw the right shoulder onto the outside, I see loads of people doing this. Stop doing that & you're half way there. Go back to your natural swing whilst playing if you like, allow for your common bad miss then go back to the range & practise doing it properly again. It shouldn't take as long as two years to make the change.

Tashyboy

Visit site
If I were you I'd try to swing properly. Go to the range & feel what it's like to swing from the inside, it's not impossible. Get somebody to video you so you know when you're doing it right & what it feels like. The most natural thing in the world to do from the top of the swing is to throw the right shoulder onto the outside, I see loads of people doing this. Stop doing that & you're half way there. Go back to your natural swing whilst playing if you like, allow for your common bad miss then go back to the range & practise doing it properly again. It shouldn't take as long as two years to make the change.

Bill one of the things he asked me to try and do was to drop me right elbow on the down swing, in essence trying to put it into my right hand pocket, would this go some way to stopping throwing out the right shoulder.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Bill one of the things he asked me to try and do was to drop me right elbow on the down swing, in essence trying to put it into my right hand pocket, would this go some way to stopping throwing out the right shoulder.
I would have thought so. It's all about how it feels to swing correctly. You need to know you're doing it right & remember how it feels.

Wolf

Visit site
Of the out to in swing path the bain of my life with the driver at the moment.

Lots of time recently in the range doing the exact drill Bob shows in video above, working nicely on the range but on course is another matter.

One of my pre shot drills on course is to get that right elbow down into my pocket, when I do this I hit the driver well, but its still gonna take a lot of time to ingrain it

Tashyboy

Visit site
Of the out to in swing path the bain of my life with the driver at the moment.

Lots of time recently in the range doing the exact drill Bob shows in video above, working nicely on the range but on course is another matter.

One of my pre shot drills on course is to get that right elbow down into my pocket, when I do this I hit the driver well, but its still gonna take a lot of time to ingrain it

Wolf when you mentioned the "elbow in pocket" is that from a lesson or video. The pro mentioned doing it but not that it stops over the top with shoulder. I never questioned why it helps. 👍

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not very keen on the 'elbow in the pocket', if it's done a fraction too late it makes the downswing even steeper.
But if it's helping, you must be doing it right.
Tashy, did you mean to comment on post no. 5?

Wolf

Visit site
Wolf when you mentioned the "elbow in pocket" is that from a lesson or video. The pro mentioned doing it but not that it stops over the top with shoulder. I never questioned why it helps. 👍
It's something my dad taught me as a junior as even back then my flaw was to come over the top, he said to me to watch Hogan and how his elbow came down and my dad told me to do the same described it to me as trying to get your elbow in your pocket.

Also something I remember reading in Harvey Penicks little red book, he described it the same way I believe and said do it over and over again to get the feeling right.

When i get that feeling I know where my drive is going without looking, sadly since I took up the game again in October it's become a struggle and I'm having to really work at getting that same feeling but with time its coming.

But what works for me may not work for you as Bob says it's still a fine line with the 2.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thinking of putting the right elbow into your side can lead to what I have been doing for a long time.

Getting stuck, hitting it fat and falling back.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I'm not very keen on the 'elbow in the pocket', if it's done a fraction too late it makes the downswing even steeper.
But if it's helping, you must be doing it right.
Tashy, did you mean to comment on post no. 5?
I did Bob and thought it had posted. Anyway. He had me doing a similar thing. He put a rubber tee down first. The ones that go under the tee mats. I smashed it 15 yd down the driving range. 😁 changed the tee for towels after that.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wolf, you know what almost recreates the headcover drill on the course? Teeing it up next to the right tee box marker. Doesn’t half concentrate the mind when you’re trying not to weld your driver head into the metal post

Bob gave me a few lessons a couple of years back. They’ve been absolutely invaluable, I understand my swing so much more now. And he pointed out my outward swing and said “how badly do you want to fix that?”. We had an honest conversation about how much I was willing to put in. If you can’t have one of those with your pro. Well. Best advice I can give is change your pro.