Swing plane, does it matter? And what does it mean to you?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never looked at my swing really before, just numbers and flights. Pro has suggested my plane is too high, and could be lower. however my striking is pretty good. When dropping it, I really struggle to control path and it often comes way in to out. Do you think believe there is an optimum plane, or is it all about the moment of strike?

Also if you had to explain plane to a beginner, how would you describe it? It's all very confusing!

Wolf

Visit site
My non professional opinion is swing plane doesn't matter in the slightest, what matters isbthe ability to deliver the club face square at impact consistently.

Montys swing was upright hit thr ball so straight. Jin Furyk has more loops than the big dipper hits it arrow straight and won majors and big pots of cash. Matt Wolfe already won on PGA tour etc.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
My non professional opinion is swing plane doesn't matter in the slightest, what matters isbthe ability to deliver the club face square at impact consistently.

Montys swing was upright hit thr ball so straight. Jin Furyk has more loops than the big dipper hits it arrow straight and won majors and big pots of cash. Matt Wolfe already won on PGA tour etc.
But being on plane means that a lot less has to happen to get the club square at impact.

I agree about furyk and Wolfe etc, but watch them in the final 1/3 of their swing...

The less re routing required the better

Wolf

Visit site
But being on plane means that a lot less has to happen to get the club square at impact.

I agree about furyk and Wolfe etc, but watch them in the final 1/3 of their swing...

The less re routing required the better
Final 1/3 is all that matters. If the person in the OP can for example already consistently deliver the club face square at impact more than he could with a on plane swing then there is no need for the change.

I've seen many good on plane swings where guys struggle to find a fair and many more that pick it straight up yet hit it consistently straight.

As I say its my opinion that the only thing that matters is the impact zone.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
This may help for context, a normal 9 iron for me with a baby fade to target.

I'll go through the session and see if I can find one closest to what should be changed.

Attachments

• 9 iron front.png
    9 iron front.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 9 iron line.png
    9 iron line.png
    553 KB · Views: 63
  • 9 iron.png
    9 iron.png
    264.3 KB · Views: 62

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

I'll go through the session and see if I can find one closest to what should be changed.

There's nothing wrong with this swing plane, very similar to the Two Plane swings of Tom Watson & Ian Poulter. The major drawback to this kind of swing is hitting the ball straight, but if you're doing this there's no need to change. If you did change you'd be tending to go back to your natural swing all the time, especially under pressure. Seems to me that your pro, like a lot of pros, is trying to teach you to swing like him, which is a mistake if this is not your natural tendency.

Definitely worth reading "The Plane Truth" by Jim Hardy & "The Release", which explains how the likes of Bubba & Phil have to work the ball, rather than hit it straight.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with the others - if you strike the ball well already why would you worry about changing the 'plane'?

I have no idea what my swing plane is. Then again I don't strike the ball well either. :LOL:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I've never looked at my swing really before, just numbers and flights. Pro has suggested my plane is too high, and could be lower. however my striking is pretty good. When dropping it, I really struggle to control path and it often comes way in to out. Do you think believe there is an optimum plane, or is it all about the moment of strike?

Also if you had to explain plane to a beginner, how would you describe it? It's all very confusing!

This is interesting for me, in view of how my swing has recently moved.
I basically tried to swing what I call ordinary, like most folks do.
I occasionally tried more Montgomery/Couples type, I.e. Upright.It felt more "languid ", relaxed etc. It seemed I was controlling it less on the way down and through, but nevertheless I hit the ball quite well.
A short time ago ! Just out of interest, I starts to play around with some old Muirfield blades, and the other day on the range I went to the upright swing.
Well, the ball went so good, I could tell the strike was proper.
Depending on the grip( stronger or not), I could go from straight to a fade.
This for me was a miracle. My mate asked if I was going to try it on the course
( all this was on the range ).
Said I didn't know... As I said , it didn't feel fully under control, like I was being arrogant or similar.
But the ball was being hit, just as far , and fade or straight at will.
So the big hurdle is this week when I play in a Mickey Mouse competition
( on a sodden course). I'm going to give it a go?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I'd be rather more 'concerned' with what seems to be minimal hip turn. You also seem to be standing rather close to the ball, though that could be an illusion. Standing (slightly) further away from the ball would flatten the plane and make a draw simpler to achieve (in to out as opposed to out to in).

Oh to be able to smack it like that though!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Not relaxed enough I think. Trying too hard to hit it.
Which is my perpetual problem. When I slow the tempo and swing back and through fully, then in both swing planes, normal or upright, I get good results.
Need to get my head right. Will experiment again in dryer summer weather when I practice in the evenings.