Swing path changing on woods.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a session on trackman the other day, was getting some decent numbers.

With all my irons and wedges the path is a lovely 1.5ish degrees from the inside. However with my hybrid, 3 wood and driver it gets up to 2 degrees out to in! Any idea's why? swing weight perhaps?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Length of shaft? Is your swing the same or do you "go after them" a little more? Maybe backswing gets a little longer?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Longer shaft creating more speed and pulling the club away from you.

You could try a more gradual increase of speed in the transition so you are reaching maximum just after impact.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
It may well be ball position, the further up in your stance the ball is the further will be to the left (out to in for a right handed golfer). Also the more you hit down on the ball the more your path will be to the right (in to out for a right handed golfer) so it's not surprising to see a path in to out for irons & wedges & out to in for driver, 3 wood etc. if you look up D Plane explanations there will be plenty of videos or articles explaining this in more detail.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you sure?

Hi Bob, if you could replicate exactly the same swing where the lowest point of the swing arc has a path of zero & then use the exact same swing but hit the ball with the low point after the ball (negative angle of attack) then the club would be moving in to out, as soon as the club passes the lowest point of the swing arc then the club path would then be out to in so yes I am sure. But as players we don't put exactly the same swing on each club so it does get more complicated than this as it may be a difference in the way he swing the longer clubs.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
So you are saying an in to out swingpath has a steeper angle of attack than an out to in swingpath?

No I'm stating that the club path moves depending on which point of the swing you make contact with the ball with the same swing direction.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No I'm stating that the club path moves depending on which point of the swing you make contact with the ball with the same swing direction.

''the more you hit down on the ball the more your path will be to the right (in to out for a right handed golfer) ''

Don't forget you're talking to some people who don't know the difference between swing path and swing plane far less the D plane.
Homer's Golfing Machine isn't for everyone.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
''the more you hit down on the ball the more your path will be to the right (in to out for a right handed golfer) ''

Don't forget you're talking to some people who don't know the difference between swing path and swing plane far less the D plane.

Good point, I did say look up the D plane to explain what I'm talking about it is pretty simple once you get a visual representation of it. But as you say most golfers do not understand swing direction or swing plane or D plane

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

No idea why you are dragging me into another forumers quote