Swing Path and Grip

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you going to the range tonight Gareth?

Have you tried hitting fades before? for someone who draws the ball, in my experience, its not quite as simple as aiming left.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you going to the range tonight Gareth?

Have you tried hitting fades before? for someone who draws the ball, in my experience, its not quite as simple as aiming left.

If a fade is a shot that starts left of the target and finishes on target, how would he do that with an in to out swing and a strong grip?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If a fade is a shot that starts left of the target and finishes on target, how would he do that with an in to out swing and a strong grip?

That why I was asking does he ever play a fade.

He would have to have an out to in path and he could still use a strong grip.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Think of it this way
When you hit your draw, at impact your swing path is in to out and your strong grip has closed the face to the path.
If the face is open at adress and you swing as normal, your strong grip will square up the face to the path.

Tried this Bob and the results were let positive. Thanks Bob :thup:

The only question mark is with the driver. Tiny pull constantly which im guessing is maybe ball position?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems to me that you still haven't 'educated' your hands to the weaker grip! So the brain still wants to set them in a certain position at impact - which closes the face too much on the pulls!

While adjusting stance to compensate might be a temporary (on course) solution, I believe it's better, long term, to 'complete the change'! But hitting a series of Push-Fades - with the ball in 'normal' position - on the range might be a way to get the brain/hands (well wrists) to get used to the new setup!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Seems to me that you still haven't 'educated' your hands to the weaker grip! So the brain still wants to set them in a certain position at impact - which closes the face too much on the pulls!

While adjusting stance to compensate might be a temporary (on course) solution, I believe it's better, long term, to 'complete the change'! But hitting a series of Push-Fades - with the ball in 'normal' position - on the range might be a way to get the brain/hands (well wrists) to get used to the new setup!

As per the OP, the grip has been a WIP over the season to which my pro has been happy with the outcome.

If hes happy, I'm sure the grip must have suitably changed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As per the OP, the grip has been a WIP over the season to which my pro has been happy with the outcome.

If hes happy, I'm sure the grip must have suitably changed.

Oh, indeed it has - visibly so in the vids! But it's the position at (some) impact that I was suggesting might be a problem - where the brain, instinctively/still feels that the hands should still be turned a bit more closed (in the strong position). Practicing Push-Fades for a bit might 'convince' it that a slightly weaker, less closed. position is best overall.

Remember that it's only impact that really matters! Everything else about a golf swing only contributes to, or detracts from, impact!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Oh, indeed it has - visibly so in the vids! But it's the position at (some) impact that I was suggesting might be a problem - where the brain, instinctively/still feels that the hands should still be turned a bit more closed (in the strong position). Practicing Push-Fades for a bit might 'convince' it that a slightly weaker, less closed. position is best overall.

Remember that it's only impact that really matters! Everything else about a golf swing only contributes to, or detracts from, impact!

Aaaaaaah see what you mean now :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

So what do you suggest he does?
And who mentioned practicing push fades?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
short term fixes/compensations can be for sure a ways to find a ways around & then continue to play to the current plateau level

but as the history of the issues that have been experienced over time to date show
these similar problems that crop up will for the most part continue off & on to re-emerge

no doubt sounds like a broken record OP but would point you back to earlier notes over the swing
mostly there is no real difference between the old swing motion & the newest in the overall swing motion dna

biggest bang for buck in terms of improvements both immediate & chance of real long term improvement lie in making a few changes in how the club goes back to the top

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
short term fixes/compensations can be for sure a ways to find a ways around & then continue to play to the current plateau level

If by that you mean my suggestion of aiming left and opening the clubface at address, I wouldn't say it's a short term fix.

In my experience, a golfer who has a strong grip often aims right then shuts the face at address to compensate.
By aiming left and pointing the face right, he may actually be setting up straight (real and feel)

biggest bang for buck in terms of improvements both immediate & chance of real long term improvement lie in making a few changes in how the club goes back to the top

The ball doesn't know or care how the club gets to the top of the backswing, it's more interested in what is happening at impact.
As swingpath and clubface direction are 2 of the 5 laws, I'd focus on them

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If by that you mean my suggestion of aiming left and opening the clubface at address, I wouldn't say it's a short term fix.

In my experience, a golfer who has a strong grip often aims right then shuts the face at address to compensate.
By aiming left and pointing the face right, he may actually be setting up straight (real and feel)

was speaking in general terms not referencing any previous advice given in the thread

The ball doesn't know or care how the club gets to the top of the backswing, it's more interested in what is happening at impact.
As swingpath and clubface direction are 2 of the 5 laws, I'd focus on them

for sure impact conditions are responsible for shot outcomes

- in this 'particular' swing motion what happens in transition and the subsequent 'recovery' half ways through the downswing that leads to impact & the subsequent range of shot issues that overtime have been documented in posts - is very much influenced by how the club has gone back to that particular top of the swing position