Swing Help Irons Really Struggling - Videos Included

AdamW

Visit site
Would appreciate if anyone has a few pointers please on my swing below? Ball flight is usually going hard left especially the lower down the irons i go.

Sometimes it also goes right to left as well for some reason.

After watching these videos myself think my swing looks a right mess , but if i try to keep my left arm straight it makes my whole body become rigid and makes even hitting the balls anywhere a nightmare.

I have no idea what i am doing wrong or where to go next?

Maybe i just need a load of lessons to sort me out? But maybe there is something i can try on the range in the meantime?

I have also barely touched the driver in a year as it just scuttles of the tee or goes far less distance than my 6 iron so becomes pointless but i am thinking it is best to sort irons first including the lower ones before driver?

Left hit

Right hit

preview

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

AdamW

Visit site
Have you checked your grip recently?

If so, does it look like the middle picture?

View attachment 28219

I think I am one on far left but will double check when I next get to the range I may well have fallen into a bad habit and not realised

Do I need to work on the take back posting should it be any different to what it is ? I.e different path , further back , straighter left arm etc?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hes shutting the face down completely. It's either a grip problem or just being unaware of what hes actually doing.

If you were wearing a watch. Half way back in the swing the face of the watch would point at thr floor. That is just shutting the face down and causing big left flights.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I
Hes shutting the face down completely. It's either a grip problem or just being unaware of what hes actually doing.

If you were wearing a watch. Half way back in the swing the face of the watch would point at thr floor. That is just shutting the face down and causing big left flights.

I know, hence my replies

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks very similar something I used to do.....pick the club up too soon rather than turning and allowing the club to sweep away before rising. Leads to a very enclosed backswing and top.
I would suggest it would be worth a few lessons so you start to feel how correct or better is.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
His right hand at address looks pretty strong to me as in you can just see the V between his thumb and finger and his wrist is thin.
But I agree the face is closed for most of the swing

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Disclaimer : I am not qualified to give advice...
The thing that occurs to me, and may have some bearing on the shut face, is that there is a lot of tension, 'effort' and control in the swing.
As a contrast, try relaxing your body, and arms while standing with your feet together. Then swing back and forth and feel the weight of the club and the way it naturally wants to move. I think you'll be surprised how much easier it is. The arms and club naturally move away and through because of mass and gravity.
Search feet together drill on youtube for some examples.

AdamW

Visit site
Really appreciate everyone's help! Will get to range either tonight or tomorrow taking on everyone points and feedback what happens

Will wear a watch as well and note the position of the watch face, at no stage should the watch face point at the floor?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Really appreciate everyone's help! Will get to range either tonight or tomorrow taking on everyone points and feedback what happens

Will wear a watch as well and note the position of the watch face, at no stage should the watch face point at the floor?

No

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Mark crossfield had just done a series of videos all about going back to basics-pretty sure a few of them deal with missing right. Might be worth checking out-go onto his channel and under the playlists for "breaking 90/80" you should find something useful there.