Swing Changes on the Course

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Just back from a lesson with my local pro, trying to get rid of my slice. Worked on changing my downswing to get it more from the inside. My question is, when making swing changes, do you try to replicate the swing feelings on the course, or just swing as you normally do, and leave the swing thoughts for the range?

Robin Hood

Visit site
No point going for a lesson if you're not going to do it whilst you play.

Expect to be crap for the first round or two.
Agreed, put it into practice straight away, but expect a few frustrations on the way to improving your game.
Good luck.👍

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
That confirms my thoughts. Was definitely going to try to conform to what I was taught today, as it made a huge and pretty fast improvement. The difference in my swing between the start of the lesson and the end was remarkable.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keep the swing feelings/new swing thoughts deliberately to a practice swing, or sequence. Over time you will then drop that from your routine when it's embedded.

For your actual stroke use your normal focus (target, visualisation, tempo, whatever).

Mix into your range session a few ofnthe above combinations as well as the more concentrated specifics you are working on ie after hitting 20 thinking and focused on the new bit, pick a target/change club!/1 practice swing then real swing as if on course. Back to exercises etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I always try and hit a couple of buckets of balls at a range or on the practice ground before going onto the course with a swing change to try and get the new and improved move feeling as natural as it can. I tend to think if I can hit balls and see it working in practice I don't have to stand on the course with a load of swing thoughts in my head. Doesn't always work like that and often do this and still go out and play rubbish but sometimes you need to take a step back to take several steps forward. Stick with it and I'm sure it'll come together soon

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Build it into your routine before you go out, doesn’t have to be on the range but you need some kind of trigger for the change.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
[QUOTE="duncan mackie, post: 1993554, member: 15519"]Over time you will then drop that from your routine when it's embedded./QUOTE]

In my experience this never happens. If I don't think constantly about how to swing up, & back down I very quickly revert to my too flat & inside, jerky, no follow through swing. In spite of years of trying, if I start to swing naturally, it all goes pear shaped very quickly.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
[QUOTE="duncan mackie, post: 1993554, member: 15519"]Over time you will then drop that from your routine when it's embedded./QUOTE]

In my experience this never happens. If I don't think constantly about how to swing up, & back down I very quickly revert to my too flat & inside, jerky, no follow through swing. In spite of years of trying, if I start to swing naturally, it all goes pear shaped very quickly.
That's a shame.
I'm unable to play well when I'm thinking constantly about the mechanics of the swing - I had thought that the case for most.
The swing I consider natural now is certainly not the one I used 20 years ago, or 40 years ago - and if things continue to progress currently the one I currently use will feel natural by the end of the year....🤔

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site

Exactly this, I have to think about what to do otherwise my old lazy swing jumps straight back in and takes over.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site

This is exactly what my pro said he has to do as well. I like to have a swing thought anyway so my routine at the moment is an exaggerated practice swing and then a waggle over the ball in the direction I want the club to come into the ball at, and then swing with my swing thought.

Wolf

Visit site
Definitely key to changes imo is doing the same routine on course as on the practice ground.

I'm going through some serious swing changes and my practice swing to some must be like looking at Alex Noren and his quirky routine, but every time I go through it I get the desired results, had a couple of lapses in the medal Sunday and ended up hitting shockers so next shot straight back in to my Norenesque routine and good results. Stick at it on course you will only feel better for it in the long run

JGolfer

Visit site
Not really a swing change but I changed my posture and stance about a month ago. I tell you never felt uncomfortable and felt like I was stretching. Pro advised me no matter how bad your hitting the ball stick with it.

Had some awful rounds. Was topping the ball thining the ball. Month later after sticking with it. My irons go 15 yards further. Higher ball flight. And my good shots are far far better.

Its worth sticking at it.

D

Deleted member 21258

You need to move it onto the course as soon as your can, as the transition is hard and completely different to the range.

Best of luck

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My advice would be practice the changes at the range and concentrate on doing whatever mechanical thing youre working on there. Don't worry too much about where the ball goes, just try to embed the feeling of the new swing. Then go for a practice round some evening on a quiet course where you have the time and space to work on it there. Again expect to mess up and go easy on yourself, it's not an easy process. Taking the new swing out on a comp with a card in your hand is tough going. Again, lower your expectations, sucsess in a round like that should be measured by how mnay times you did the right thing, not by what you scored. Ultimately this is the way to improve, so stick at it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
100% try the new swing changes on the course.

If I end up with a card in my hand I will get the ball around any way I can. There is no pictures on the scorecards. I've often sliced and scuffed my way to decent scores.

Sticking religiously to "the swing" when faced with a pile of water in front of you and scorecard in your back pocket is silly imo.

GolfingPastor

Visit site
I don’t like to think of more than 1 thing when I’m swinging- tinker at the range, but just enjoy the game when you play