Swing changes for the Winter.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some more vids taken tonight. I tried to straighten my legs and tilt a little more over from the waist.

I spent some time off camera doing Bob's headcover drill. I confess that I had to go and retrieve my head cover from the range on more than one occasion :eek: That tells a story and is further confirmation that my downswing is flirting dangerously with OTT.

I will persevere with this drill and some other suggestions - thanks all much appreciated. Time will tell whether I manage to put the downswing onto a safer, healthier plane but I'll give it a go.

http://youtu.be/llP0JTo9ahk 5 Wood

http://youtu.be/lbWdVO67eLQ 7I

http://youtu.be/bOS44mfxgyM Slow Mo 5 Wood but camera didnt like the dark.:confused:

http://youtu.be/XRs4e0tHR9A Driver

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are your thoughts seeing your new videos?

Nothing changed much yet just a slight improvement to the posture. I started on the easy change first:D

I'm going to try some things to change the way the transition from backswing to downswing is working - see you in 3 months.:confused:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I did say in my OP that you have a decision as to what you want... and I could see you getting to 7 with your swing.

I can't make that choice for you.. It's like the karate kid where you get squished if you stand in the middle of the road... :D

You really want to follow Kuchar's example? We could get you swinging steep like Furyk if you want... or a super-massive overswing like John Daly? :p

You could certainly refine what you currently have, as I said you're already a solid golfer so short game and putting will make a difference, the rest is down to your driving and iron play and what is costing you... strike, distance or direction?

The only issue with having a quirky swing (for want of a better phrase) is that people will ALWAYS point out your faults and not really be able to fix/tweak your swing without stating the obvious and attempting to fix that.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with James. There are a number of players at my place who don't have a "conventional" swing but knock it around in lowish numbers. There would potentially be a lot of pain in a rebuild which may take many months and even a "refine" could bring about a worsening of the strike etc

If the ball goes where you want it, despite the swing, practice the short game and really hone that would be my view too.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
I'd go for the swing rebuild and not instantly start looking at Kuchar's swing and wondering if I could get away with something like that.

I like that phrase that goes something like "Why keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result?"..... if you're going to make a change... make it.

A

Alex1975

^

I like that phrase that goes something like "Why keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result?"..... if you're going to make a change... make it.

I like this....

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
^
^
^
I'd go for the swing rebuild and not instantly start looking at Kuchar's swing and wondering if I could get away with something like that.

I'm going to make some changes but stop short of calling it a rebuild. A rebuild sounds massive!!

If I can get better accuracy and acquire a more predictable and boring flight I would be a very happy man. Having a quirky swing doesn't bother me per se but if I can get better results and a better (more orthodox?) looking swing in the process then that will be a bonus.

To start with I will concentrate on the posture, as you say less knee flex and more bent over from the waist. Step 2 I think is to consciously try to hit more balls out to the right , hitting more from the inside in the process. The headcover drill will be something I can use to help with that.

Over time and hours of practice I hope that the transition in backswing/downswing takes on a different look on its own. If I start now and take another look in 3 months will the OTT be gone completely? I guess it should be:confused:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Just looked at the new 7-iron swing, I like it a lot. Try to raise the backswing plane by tilting your shoulder plane down to the ball just a little more.

Couple of things that I'm interested in...

No1, is your left hand grip a bit weak?
No2, you don't seem to have much/any weight shift (or 'go for it' aggression) in your strike. I like the smoothness but think you could easily get more 'punch' into your swing.

A rebuild does sound massive...maybe a 'positive change for the better' is a better way to describe it.

You've already proved yourself as a capable golfer... why not forget compromises now and see how good you can REALLY get?

......................... no pressure :p :D

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regarding the left hand grip I think (hope) that its pretty neutral. I occasionally calibrate the grip by taking the club with the left thumb down the centre of the shaft and then rotate the whole grip clockwise slightly so the the left thumb is more to the RHS of the club, not on top. My right hand grip tended to be very strong when I first started out but gradually weakened it so more right hand is more on top of the club than on the RHS. With a strong right hand I hook a lot more often. I will try to put some pics up.

The swing looks pedestrian doesnt it? But I am OK with distance. Therefore I dont feel like I have to put anything more into the swing. Having said that if I can improve the backswing then perhaps more power may come from that. Would you say that I am hitting from the top? Do I need to be a bit more patient? I dont know if that is the same as creating lag or having passive wrists, etc,

I dont have any thoughts about weight transfer other than to try and remember to start lifiting my right heel as I make impact with the ball.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry having some PC issues, post may look strange.

Regarding the left hand grip I think (hope) that its pretty neutral. I occasionally calibrate the grip by taking the club with the left thumb down the centre of the shaft and then rotate the whole grip clockwise slightly so the left thumb is more to the RHS of the club, not on top. My right hand grip tended to be very strong when I first started out but gradually weakened it so more
right hand is more on top of the club than on the RHS. With a strong right hand I hook a lot more often. I will try to put some pics up.

The swing looks pedestrian doesnt it? But I am OK with distance. Therefore I dont feel like I have to put anything more into the swing. Having said that if I can improve the backswing then perhaps more power and a sweeter strike may come from that. Would you say that I am hitting from the top? Do I need to be a bit more patient? I dont know if that is the same as creating lag or having passive wrists, etc.

I dont have any thoughts about weight transfer other than to try and remember to start lifiting my right heel as I make impact with the ball.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's a lot of hand movement Tim, thats's all. If you've got 20yrs to perfect it then feel free.... I think to an extent that's why many people are switching to a one-plane swing so the drop isn't as severe (few inches) instead of a foot! :D

Sergio gets the club laid back as much as any golfer you'll see.. that puts him on the extreme side of 'normal'. His clubshaft gets below the plane of the right forearm (approx 20secs on the vid) ... and technically that's erring on the side of being 'stuck'.

Thanks James, i don't really want to spend the next 20 years down the range, i guess garcia is just one of those annoyingly talented people.

As long as i can drop it enough to get reasonably on plane i'll be happy

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I can only speak from experience, I spent 10yrs at the range trying to perfect it... I couldn't. So I switched. That's how simple it is. It took me 10yrs to recognise that a 2 plane swing didn't work for me... I just couldn't time it consistently enough (especially with a weight shift) but there wasn't really any information available out there discussing a 1-plane swing... there is now.

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if you meant me, but my left grip is neutral. I often chekc by placing thumb down the middle of shaft and then rotate the whole grip clockwise a bit so the left thumb is more to the side of the club. My right hand used to be very strong but now is neutral/possibly weak if anything. I find this helps to keep the hooks away.

My swing looks pedestrian doesnt it? But I am ok with distance therefore I dont feel that i need to put anything more into the swing.

Do you think I am hitting from the top? Hitting early? Do I need to be more patient?

Also weight transfer is not something I think about other than to start lifting my right heel when at impact.

This is about the fifth time I have written this, for some reason spam filters are directing my post to the moderator:mmm:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
This is about the fifth time I have written this, for some reason spam filters are directing my post to the moderator:mmm:

Once that happens just PM a mod and ask them to authorise it.

No issues with your swing Sean, as I said that new 7-iron swing looked a much better posture than before. You'll be needing to bed that in a little and see what the result is. Club is still a bit flat... but i'm gathering that's still work in progress now?

I get the feeling that you could be a little more compact and use the bigger muscles to get your swing both more powerful and yet more consistent.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I may have discovered a problem with the grip that needs looking at. My left hand grip is not weak but it could well be loose. I have noticed a premature wear mark in the fleshy part of the left hand glove. I suffered this before but it kind of went away and now its back. I googled and found this below. Fits the description for the fault at the top of my backswing as well.

"Letting go with the last three fingers of the left hand causes ‘throwing’ the club from the top. A sure sign of a loose grip is if you are wearing a hole in your golf glove. Tighten the grip with the last three fingers of the left hand so they can’t let go of the club shaft"