Swing Advice

Revolt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNw9ofGnmUE

I know I overswing by letting the club flop over at the top of the backswing slightly.
I struggle to swing in to out despite my best efforts...
I do feel pretty restricted through the ball and feel I am losing power this way... should I stand further away from the ball ?

For anyone wandering... play off 12, last week shot my best ever round (+4) and hit my driver about 240-250 carry

Welcome any comments and tips!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you're hitting your driver 250 carry, you dont need any more power.

Lots of things going on in your swing, backswing, downswing and followthrough
But why change them if you're playing so well?
Only fix a fault if its causing a problem.........lack of direction or contact.
If not, leave well alone.

Having said all that, one easy fix for your long backswing.........
Try and keep a firmer grip with your left hand. It's 'opening' on the backswing allowing the club to drop

HTH

Revolt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess the main reason is I feel like I am slow through impact and not hitting it out the middle of the face every time.....

I only seem to score well when I hit fairways so trying to work on that currently !

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
good job on the progress thus far

would get to a PGA Pro and get the hold on the handle really checked over along with address set-up

folks playing for a while tend to 'feel comfortable' doing the stuff they do just because it's what they do, habit, often times habit and comfortable are a little ways from having stuff in a better condition at set-up which then allows for less compensation moves during the motion

losing hold on the handle, and set-up alignment issues for sure makes the golf swing, the golf game way more challenging than it need be

often times losing hold/grip at the top is down to a small bunch of stuff - the handle being lodged too far 'up' in the palm of the lead hand (some times trail hand too) having the handle run up in the palm means the hand/wrist just cannot set good only ways to get more 'angle' at the top is to let go and re-grip - which is just no real use to either clubhead speed or being able to deliver the face good through impact - handle needs to run more through the fingers of both hands with the 'V's pointing past the trail ear to around mid-trail shoulder - looking down at set-up to see around 2&1/2 knuckles of the lead hand with the lead thumb on top of the right side of the grip - lead thumb not over extended down the handle - so with the club held out in front the wrists alone can set the club 'up' to form a 90º angle lead arm to shaft

other stuff that can play into losing grip at the top is grip pressure along with a palm grip being to fierce in both hands forefingers and thumbs - pressure points in the lead hand with good grip is mostly in the last 3 fingers and the palm pad ontop of the handle along with the middle 2 fingers of the trail hand - forefingers and thumbs have no great pressure to the hold as that 'lock up' the the forearms which then moves up the arms to lock up the shoulders and makes it way more difficult to make a good turn to the top

other stuff that plays into grip issues at the top of the swing is a lack of 'connection' between the arms and the body turn, arms outrace the turn, so not enough body turn but arms keep going eventually the grip hold will tend to break down

would get the grip really checked over good by the Pro plus set-up alignments (definitely don't look to stand further away from the ball) even though the camera angle not ideal place - freeze frame just before the club takeback you should see a couple of things that will make stuff little more difficult - check over the upper chest shoulder alignment in relation to the 'aim line' you notice the shoulders point left some so open so more likely for the arms club to move out and away from the body turn plus makes it more difficult to get club back to squarish impact condition - tell tale sign is the trail arm (forearm) being higher than the lead

these couple of things tend to mean at set-up the player has moved the chest and head back up to be just at the further forward driver ball position - putting the body posture upper to lower little ways out of shape

check over face on tour pro models with the driver you'll see the sternum(chest center) and head remain a bunch of inches behind the ball at set-up they just moved the arms triangle so driver head up to ball by a slight rotation of the shoulders and not by physically moving the upper body and head back up to the ball