Sutton Green Golf Club

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Playing there next month in our society. Not been before, but just checked out the holes on their website and look good. Plenty of ponds to find!

I've booked in to play on Sunday, which I why I asked the initial question. If you remind me, I'll let you know my thoughts afterwards.

The flyovers look good. The 4th looks interesting!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Played it quite a few times - they do cheap rates with Direct-TeeTimes. It was my 'course of choice' for a casual nearby round - even though not particularly near, but change of job wiped that!

Used to be very boggy apparently, but generally pretty good these days. Some really rather good holes - and a nice starting Par 5 and a pretty simple 2nd! Greens are normally nice and quick (and true).

Not worth cutting the corner on 4th imo. A 200 or so shot up the left (avoiding the tree!) will leave about 160 in. It's actually easier to cut the corner off the Whites (at least with my flight) as there's more room to get it over the trees. Any error is likely to be a lost ball though!

Nice bar too.

Enjoy!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No idea yet but we have a club match against them in October that I've been picked for. Looking forward to it and hoping it isn't too boggy if we get a bit of rain and hope Foxholer is right and that it has improved

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Play it quite regularly. Might previously of suffered in the wet but always been fine whenever I've played even in the winter. Not really possible to cut the corner on the 4th now the trees have grown a bit. If you're going to miss the fairway best to miss it by 30 yards and play off the opposite fairway. Not the most interesting of courses compared to some nearby but a decent enough course.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a nice enough track but the 4th hole with its 90 degree dog leg is a bit of a joke. They have extended the 9th into a monster par-4 that would befit a US PGA finishing hole but the rest of the course is pretty bog standard.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The most memorable thing about it for me was the snooty members who are the reason I never went back, but that was a very long time ago and things could have changed.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
The most memorable thing about it for me was the snooty members who are the reason I never went back, but that was a very long time ago and things could have changed.

It's an ok course. Agree a bit with Hawkeye: one time on the first, a member stormed over and insisted that my PP fully tuck his shirt in, even though half of it was actually ok.

I think Laura Davies has some association with the course?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
So, played Sutton Green on Sunday and was really impressed with it.

My thoughts as follows;
- tee boxes; very good condition, tidy and well placed
- fairways; well maintained and divots had been replaced
- bunkers; mainly ok, not a huge amount of sand in them but they had been raked
- rough; not too penal
- green; had been corked but still rolled true and the pace was ok

The round took 4 hours, which they said was standard for the course. We only had to wait on one tee and that was only for a moment.

Regarding the members; we played behind the ladies captain and she seemed friendly enough. Her 3-ball helped me find my ball on the 9th after I flew the green.

I will definitely play this course again.