Surprised at handicap

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I have finally got my club handicap and am somewhat surprised with what they have come up with.

My 3 cards submitted were 100, 94, and 91 and they have given me a handicap of 28!

The par for the course is 68, SSS is 66.

Was just a bit surprised at this as when I mentioned it to the sports & handicaps chairman he though I should be put off 24.

Just worried that I am going to be called a cheat in competitions as in the last couple of weeks I have shot an 89 and an 85.

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
28 looks about right off the 3 cards submitted. If the scores are coming down, the handicap will to - and in the region og 28 it will drop quite quickly.

keep at it... you bandit (joke!)

B

birdieman

Does seem a little high, looks more like 24 - never mind, just return a couple of decent scores and they'll chop you quicksmart. The stableford adjusted scoring will get you on a realistic handicap pretty quickly. You get 0.4 x the difference between CSS and your net score in your handicap catgegory which allows rapid decrease in handicap after a decent score.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
That's high, MWJ. Appeal.

Know what you mean about the raised eyebrows, though. I've put three cards together at 80, 81 and 83 for handicap submission and my wife insists I should wait until closer to the club championship! I think it's likely the handicap will be about 16 (from 19.1) but they might reduce it further just to make sure I don't surprise people too much. What to do.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't worry about it Jon. You can tell by your disappointment that you are not a bandit- you don't wish to win unfairly but this is the handicap you have been given and there is nothing you can do about that. Unless you deliberately played bad during your card rounds, something I am positive you wouldn't have done, you should take the prizes and accept the cuts until you reach a lower handicap and not worry. You clearly aspire like the rest of us to be off as low a handicap as possible so just keep working at it and you will get a fair handicap that is both reflective of your ability and consistency. Currently from what you have said it is merely reflective of your consistency. Blitz a few medals and the handicap secretary will bring you down in a flash.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 3 cards submitted were 100, 94, and 91 and they have given me a handicap of 28!

MWJ......I'm happy for you to go out and win plenty of comps, but i.m.h.o. this is clearly the WRONG handicap. If you included a 91 with a SSS of 66, that's a maximum of 25 whatever way you look at it. The congu guide is to take the best card of the three (we've all been through this many times)....therefore your card of 91 (+25) should have been the starting place.

Regardless of any speculation...
You scored 34,28 and 25 over SSS. (ave +29) and got 28
I scored 19,16 and 15 over SSS. (ave +16.6) and got 11.5

Doesn't look like all h'cap secretaries are reading the same book to me.... :D

However, luck you! Go and enjoy.... :cool:

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not your fault or problem mate.

All I would say is make sure you enter plenty of comps and be seen putting in handicap cards at every opportunity,then who could complain??

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you win a few between now and xmas, there will be a review at xmas, and they will adjust you then. Just make sure you play in all the comps, and you will come down rapidly, and then get a decent review. My guess is 22 by January.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not your fault or problem mate.

Definitely!! You've done the right thing by practicing hard and handing in 3 genuine cards.

Go and win some things......do it for all of us who can't!!

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

MWJ......I'm happy for you to go out and win plenty of comps, but i.m.h.o. this is clearly the WRONG handicap. If you included a 91 with a SSS of 66, that's a maximum of 25 whatever way you look at it. The congu guide is to take the best card of the three (we've all been through this many times)....therefore your card of 91 (+25) should have been the starting place.

Regardless of any speculation...
You scored 34,28 and 25 over SSS. (ave +29) and got 28
I scored 19,16 and 15 over SSS. (ave +16.6) and got 11.5

Doesn't look like all h'cap secretaries are reading the same book to me.... :D

However, luck you! Go and enjoy.... :cool:

I can't understand MWJ's allocation, the least he should have got was 25 - even then there could have been some adjustments to consider. I would question that with your Committee.

RGUK. Its not about averages. Its the lowest of your three gross and then stableford adjustments (max double bogey) taken into account. There's also previous playing history (if any) to consider.

The allocation of a handicap to a player is to be fair to all members, that may not seem entirely fair to the player to who'm the handicap has been awarded.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
RGUK. Its not about averages. Its the lowest of your three gross and then stableford adjustments (max double bogey) taken into account. There's also previous playing history (if any) to consider.

I never said it was about averages. I was using the averages as an example of how MWJs and mine were considered.
Like I said, my best card was 13 over par and 15 over SSS scored off winter mats (over 1,200 yards short of the whites). As I also mentioned, there was only 1 seven on my card (a treble on a par 4) so in my book my best card was 14 over SSS gross.

They did take my previous h'cap into consideration, in fact, as far as I can tell, they simply gave me what I was off 9 years previous....11.5....hardly a fair idea if my clubs have been in the shed for 8 years. :D

Now, I could live with this for 20 or 30 rounds (over nett par) IF they were giving me 0.1...PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG...but they're NOT. Every time I give 100% until the last putt drops and return an 83/84/85, there's no move. If I had been given 13 or 14, then there'd still be no move, and I wouldn't have challenged to win any comps. My suspicion is that the CSS gets hiked up way too many..... :D