Surge of New Members

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Well...as a member of a members club I consider it to be one of my responsibilities to help keep the course tidy and free of rubbish...and so I find myself picking up stuff as I walk round.

We no longer have any bins on the course so I have to carry it all the way back to the clubhouse if on the back 9 or halfway house if on the front. It doesn’t please me to see rubbish dropped by others - in fact it irritates me and can anger me if it’s an empty bottle or can - but I find my anger dissipates quickly if I do what I can and pick it up - in a covid-safe way of course.

I obviously can’t and don’t pick everything up, but if we each and all do our bit to tidy up behind the careless and the fools then the course will stay tidy and the careless and fools will be less inclined to drop their rubbish.

Well, H - well done. However you have spoiled a good post by the last line..
No, the 'ne'er do wells' will NOT be less inclined to drop their rubbish.
You are wishful thinking .
And they are not fools, they are more culpable than that- and they certainly aren't careless. They are very deliberate.

peld

Visit site
Are we talking about Dalmahoy here? It was on my list for our trip in September, still worth a visit?
sorry for the slow reply.

It depends. I live just to the west of Edinburgh where Dalmahoy is probably the best place (if they spent some money and put more effort in to it it could be excellent). It's 2 miles away, and none of the other clubs within a short drive grab me to make a change. However if you are making a proper golf trip up here, I suspect you are off to East Lothian or up to Fife, and there is no comparison to those areas really. Its the type of place where if you were perhaps staying in the hotel or nearby, you could bring your clubs and play a round, but I wouldnt make it a stop on a golf trip.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
And they are not fools, they are more culpable than that- and they certainly aren't careless. They are very deliberate.

Research has proven they are more likely to chuck rubbish in an area with rubbish present, and less likely in an area without it. :) (Broken Window Theory/Tipping Point - take your pick)

New members that only play with the folk they joined with are less likely to adopt the behaviours of their new course.... that might be good or bad! :ROFLMAO:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Research has proven they are more likely to chuck rubbish in an area with rubbish present, and less likely in an area without it. :) (Broken Window Theory/Tipping Point - take your pick)

New members that only play with the folk they joined with are less likely to adopt the behaviours of their new course.... that might be good or bad! :ROFLMAO:

Well , there are statistics and statistics etc. If you are talking about public open areas ( *some years ago) that may be so.But scrotes (who pay and play -or members) on a golf course and who dump their litter don't bother whether there is any or much other litter about, methinks. They just do their thing, not caring about anyone else.
*And as for now dumping rubbish where other rubbish lies, or is regularly dumped, that may now have changed ( don't know when the 'research' was done), on the basis that these days there are cameras likely at these well known areas, so best to be avoided , which is why we see rubbish fly tipped in all sorts of new places now.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
sorry for the slow reply.

It depends. I live just to the west of Edinburgh where Dalmahoy is probably the best place (if they spent some money and put more effort in to it it could be excellent). It's 2 miles away, and none of the other clubs within a short drive grab me to make a change. However if you are making a proper golf trip up here, I suspect you are off to East Lothian or up to Fife, and there is no comparison to those areas really. Its the type of place where if you were perhaps staying in the hotel or nearby, you could bring your clubs and play a round, but I wouldnt make it a stop on a golf trip.
Excellent reply, thank you. We are hoping to play 36 at Aberdour and 18 at Craigielaw, I will now be looking for an alternative to Dalmahoy.

peld

Visit site
Excellent reply, thank you. We are hoping to play 36 at Aberdour and 18 at Craigielaw, I will now be looking for an alternative to Dalmahoy.
Out of interest, why Aberdour and Craigielaw?
Aberdour has 3 lovely scenic opening holes, but then its nothing special at all. Certainly wouldnt be playing 36 holes on a golf trip. Go to the beach next door and take a few photos, then play golf somewhere further along the coast.
Craigielaw is ok but the courses round there are top notch.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Out of interest, why Aberdour and Craigielaw?
Aberdour has 3 lovely scenic opening holes, but then its nothing special at all. Certainly wouldnt be playing 36 holes on a golf trip. Go to the beach next door and take a few photos, then play golf somewhere further along the coast.
Craigielaw is ok but the courses round there are top notch.
We played Aberdour in 2019, or at least the other three did. I had an infection in my hand and while I tried to play in reality it was pointless. So I want to play those 3 scenic holes plus we all really enjoyed the course.
Cragielaw? I'm sure the other clubs in the area are top-notch, for what they charge they would have to be. Would we get a superior golfing experience at one of the others? Perhaps. Will we have a satisfactory golfing experience at Craigielaw? Probably. We are not into collecting top 100 courses, just having a good time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know what I really think of them - and my words are distinctly not repeatable, but trying to be positive that some might be less inclined to strew rubbish about if theirs is the only stuff dropped and it is obvious to their playing companions.