Superspeedgolf

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't think I've seen a thread on it, but apologies if I've missed it. Noticed that these training aids (https://superspeedgolf.com/) seem to be getting traction with a lot of professionals and the long drive hitters as they seek to gain extra yards.

Not sure at the cost I'm willing to invest as an occasional golfer, but I'm intrigued as to whether anybody else has them, been through the training videos and seen success on extending distance. Intrigued is linked in part with Dennis Pugh on twitter continuing to stand behind being a long hitter is key to lower scoring than putting and how "drive for show, putt for dough" is a myth.

Probably conflating two talking points there but interested to know what people think.

Visit site
I put my club making skills into good use and made my own.
The only issue I have with it is that I can’t find time to put the required effort into it. It’s a great warm up tool as it gets the old ticker going and out of the couple of times I’ve used it there has been an increase in speed if only by 1-2mph.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I took the plunge based on advice from my pro that the only thing that could increase my distance now was swing speed. He had heard great reviews from his cat 1 students (def not my level!)
Only got them the other day. Completed the first beginner protocol and actually thought “is that it?” It didn’t seem too hard and from all the info, I was expecting a fair workout.
The following morning though I had a few aches and I hit a lot of golf balls, so you would think my muscles would be used to it.
I made sure I was swinging as fast as I could as they say the biggest mistake is not giving it 100%. This is not tempo training. It’s all about speed.
I did struggle with the swinging left handed part, to exercise both sides equally. I am very right side dominant.
Early days. I have to do this protocol 3 times a week for the next four weeks before moving to the next level. I will let you know how it goes.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I put my club making skills into good use and made my own.
The only issue I have with it is that I can’t find time to put the required effort into it. It’s a great warm up tool as it gets the old ticker going and out of the couple of times I’ve used it there has been an increase in speed if only by 1-2mph.

Could you post somepics of these. Been intrigued since you posted you were going to do this project.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For the driving v putting thread, the "who would win" thread is worth a read. Both skillsets are important, statistically, driving is a little more important than putting, but approach play 200-100 yards out is the most important part of the game when you look at what separates handicappers from elite players.

Regarding the speedsticks, the science backs it up, it's basically just neurological training, to teach your body to work faster. The price put me off, but I was intending to DIY some using an old driver shaft which already has an adapter on it, so I just need to find a bolt with the correct thread size, and some washers for the weight. I believe a driver weighs around 200 grams, plus shaft. The official speedsticks are 250, 290 and 330g including the shaft, so you would want to aim for these weights.

D

Deleted member 21258

I did speed 'training' with just some old driver shafts and normal clubs, swinging as fast as I could over one winter a number of years ago. Posted about it a couple of times on the forum.

Picked up almost 10mph by doing it, takes a while to get use to the extra swing speed on the course, as it feels that you are swinging mentally fast(cough cough for me!). Probably 6 months before it felt normal on the course and dispersion was similar to before but 20-30 yards further down the fairway. I can swing the club another 5-10mph faster on practise swings, but never spent the time getting that bedded into the course swing, must find time...

Not lost any of the speed since. The little radar devices are great for recording any increases and surprising accurate when compared to GC or flightscope.

Most fun I have had playing golf doing the speed training, means some par 5 are now reachable in 2 with 2 sunday bests, long par 4 are now reachable all year round etc.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I took the plunge based on advice from my pro that the only thing that could increase my distance now was swing speed. He had heard great reviews from his cat 1 students (def not my level!)
Only got them the other day. Completed the first beginner protocol and actually thought “is that it?” It didn’t seem too hard and from all the info, I was expecting a fair workout.
The following morning though I had a few aches and I hit a lot of golf balls, so you would think my muscles would be used to it.
I made sure I was swinging as fast as I could as they say the biggest mistake is not giving it 100%. This is not tempo training. It’s all about speed.
I did struggle with the swinging left handed part, to exercise both sides equally. I am very right side dominant.
Early days. I have to do this protocol 3 times a week for the next four weeks before moving to the next level. I will let you know how it goes.

Let us know, I'd be very interested. I think I have a quick swing anyway with tempo often a factor so it's one to be careful on.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Not doubting their effectiveness, but does seem pretty expensive for what it is. A stiff shaft with a weight on the end.

Maybe one more thing a golf business has decided requires the 'reassuringly expensive' tactic.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
My pro told me not to waste my money. Said swing two clubs, then one club then with a club upside down.
Or if I wanted he could ask his colleague and he’ll get somebody to weld some speed sticks up for 50 notes.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not doubting their effectiveness, but does seem pretty expensive for what it is. A stiff shaft with a weight on the end.

Maybe one more thing a golf business has decided requires the 'reassuringly expensive' tactic.
To be fair, 3 stiff shafts with 3 weights on the end. But I take your point.
I thought it was a lot too and I think the price puts a lot of people off. I worked on the basis that if I found a driver that gave me say another 25 yards I would probably buy it and that may cost around £500 these days. I figured that if I bought these the worse case scenario was that they didn’t work for me, which to be fair is doubtful. In which case I sell them and get at least half my money back.

Visit site
Could you post somepics of these. Been intrigued since you posted you were going to do this project.

Sorry I Tried to post photos but it’s not having it.

They are completed and from the measurements from an original set I got hold of, they are pretty close. After drilling the centre out I had to grind some of the weight off to get it right, then I had to get the right shaft weight for each weight. The grips are the same weight and are 45” long.

They work pretty well, although I don’t have a speed monitor so I can’t judge the speed, but have another way of tracking it.