SuperSpeed Training

JGolfer

Visit site
So about 5 weeks ago I got myself some of the overspeed sticks, and a PRGR, have been following the protocols, I start level 2 this week.

My swing speed prior to this was 85mph 7 iron, 100mph driver. These speeds were both from Trackman & PRGR.

5 weeks in, my 7 iron swingspeed is 87mph and driver is 106mph. (I have reached 89 and 108 respectively, but neither of these are repeatable on a constant basis, so I have taken the numbers I am seeing on the golf course)

In terms of swing speed, everything is working, and my long game has never been better. However and this may just be me, for a period of 2 weeks I could not stop shanking anything 9 iron or less the moment I put any speed into the swing. This has seemingly resolved itself, it may be adjusting to new speed I’m not sure. But i thought worth noting.

Overall when considering the price of new golf gear, I would highly recommend these to anybody looking to gain some distance. Yes they are pricey, but the biggest investment is committing to the 3x per week, and committing 110% to every swing.

I will continue to track my gains and will post an update on a few months. Hoping to hit 110 driver.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So about 5 weeks ago I got myself some of the overspeed sticks, and a PRGR, have been following the protocols, I start level 2 this week.

My swing speed prior to this was 85mph 7 iron, 100mph driver. These speeds were both from Trackman & PRGR.

5 weeks in, my 7 iron swingspeed is 87mph and driver is 106mph. (I have reached 89 and 108 respectively, but neither of these are repeatable on a constant basis, so I have taken the numbers I am seeing on the golf course)

In terms of swing speed, everything is working, and my long game has never been better. However and this may just be me, for a period of 2 weeks I could not stop shanking anything 9 iron or less the moment I put any speed into the swing. This has seemingly resolved itself, it may be adjusting to new speed I’m not sure. But i thought worth noting.

Overall when considering the price of new golf gear, I would highly recommend these to anybody looking to gain some distance. Yes they are pricey, but the biggest investment is committing to the 3x per week, and committing 110% to every swing.

I will continue to track my gains and will post an update on a few months. Hoping to hit 110 driver.
Been thinking about it for a while, definitely need to try something to turnbaround my ever decreasing swing speed. Only thing that puts me off is the price being notoriously tight.

Just out of interest how much were they?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been thinking about it for a while, definitely need to try something to turnbaround my ever decreasing swing speed. Only thing that puts me off is the price being notoriously tight.

can't you just put lots of lead tape on an old club?

JGolfer

Visit site

I believe they were £200 off Amazon, which admittedly is on the pricier side. However the results can’t be argued with (for myself anyway), especially when you see new drivers coming out promising more distance, costing £500+ and giving you a couple of yards.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A lot of the speed training relies on having lighter 'clubs' rather than heavier 'clubs' so you can swing them faster.
You are trying to build up speed as much as strength.
I have heard of people buying copies and using the superspeed training protocols, not sure how readily available they are now.

Jason.H

Visit site
I’ve gained 10% more speed in 5 weeks. Really notice the ball flight is very different with the driver. Just using PRGR with my golf clubs , 7 iron and driver.

JGolfer

Visit site
A lot of the speed training relies on having lighter 'clubs' rather than heavier 'clubs' so you can swing them faster.
You are trying to build up speed as much as strength.
I have heard of people buying copies and using the superspeed training protocols, not sure how readily available they are now.

I think what convinced me to go for the Superspeed ones, was listen to chasingscratch podcast, they had someone who worked for Superspeed on who was talking about them.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
The Stack seems to be the one to get if you don't mind paying £££s

I bought a speed stick with three different weights on Amazon for £49.99 - I believe this is essentially the same as the Superspeed Sticks but it's one stick where you add the weight instead of 3. Works really well, and I don't see how Superspeed would be worth the additional £150. Getting a PRGR or another decent launch monitor is essential though - you can pick one up for around £150 on eBay.

Jason.H

Visit site

It’s actually the opposite, you start out swinging lighter weight which allows you and your body to get used to more speed. Eventually moving up in weight and the extra speed gained will be there with the driver and other clubs.

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great thread this...I'm 53, play off 5 and looking to get my speed up. I have ordered the PRGR launch monitor which should be with me next week. I have made three speed sticks at 255g, 290g and 335g out of three driver shafts and even ordered an outside driver net! I couldn't afford the complete package but need the PRGR obviously. I'm going to follow the Superspeed golf programme. Can't start until I get the PRGR yet but have had a go with the speed sticks...a few times this week. Normally I carry the driver 220m in summer (about 95mph I think)...today, winter conditions in N/W France at 8 degrees I carried it 230m. I am not saying the few practice sessions have built up my strength but think my brain is already thinking more to focus on the speed aspect and my body is following. Three monster drives for me today and one absolute balloon/pushy right/ round wrecker........I'll get some base numbers from the PRGR before I start the journey properly and commence my speed training...because it will be good to see those numbers increase from day one.

I wonder what I could realistically achieve mph wise over the next 4 months....112mph?

Cheers,
M

Albo

Visit site
Good afternoon!
Putting down my mark here as my speed sticks arrived in the post this afternoon.
Had a lesson on working on speed last week and topped out at 103.5 on trackman, so I have a recent and accurate baseline to work off.
Speed training begins, let’s see where it takes me.
Hospital or the morgue more than likely, well certainly more likely than the PGA tour

Albo

Visit site
Had a quick play last night with them, fastest I got to was 110 with both the green and blue. Found swinging the wrong way incredibly difficult and even getting it to read the step change left handed swing I had to swing 5 or 6 times with each stick!
Driver before the training was 98, 97, 99 and directly after training was 99, 101, 103. Then went into hitting more balls post training with driver had 3 swings out of 15/20 that were under 100 (a 97 and 2 at 99) the rest were between 100 and 103, these swings were not all maxed out and trying to get to a speed where I think I could use on course without disaster. The 103s and 102s were when I was going after it. But certainly felt in control of 100/101. I need to see what it’s like in a couple of days time so will keep measuring driver speed between training days too.
Pleased so far

Edit to add some targets, because, why not;
1) Be able to swing driver 105 - even if wildly
2) Be in control of driver at 105
3) Be able to swing driver 110 even if wildly
4) I’d love to be able to keep drivers under control at 110
5) Be able to swing driver 115.

Aiming high

Albo

Visit site
Went and played a few holes today, the new faster swing certainly isn’t ready for the course just now put it that way, but when it works it works well, left myself a pitching wedge into a hole which is predominantly into wind and was today, that I have previously never been below an 8i unless the wind changes direction, I also didn’t hold the fairway and still only had wedge which i missed the green with but as I say the swing isn’t quite there yet.
Went to the hitting net after with my PRGR and lashed at a few drives.
New PB of 104mph which I managed 3 times
Quickly broken by 105 twice.
There is no way I can swing at 105 on the course as it’d be all over the place, but I’m pleased this far.
I would like to keep updating this with my progress (not daily) but if it’s not something of interest just drop a note to tell me so and I’ll give it a rest

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
Any update on your progress.

I went to a range which had Top Tracer and it was giving me between 140-150mph ball speed which would therefore be below 100mph club head. I think I should be able to get this a lot faster.

I lift a few weights in the gym so strength wise I should be ok, though it's probably more of a hindrance with a lack of flexibility.

I wouldn't mind looking at getting a PRGR and some training sticks but the cost is putting me off.

Albo

Visit site
Just a quick update as it’s been a few weeks.

I’m still at 113 with the green stick as my max and 105 pretty regularly with driver now.
All that said, swings at 100-103 are now the norm and feel controlled and while I think on course I’m slightly below that, if I had the fortitude to swing harder on course I’m sure my drivers would still be in play and longer!

Albo

Visit site
Went speed training today at lunch hit a new high of 114 with the green stick
Driver speed hit 106 twice today, a bunch of 105 and countless 102 to 104.
I also had a swing which registered at 108, though that was a wild swipe not really resembling a golf swing and the ball came off the toe end into the divider board at the range so I’m not counting that.
Progress all the same though