Suitable course in or around Birmingham that don’t require golf shoes

kmmmn

Visit site
Hi. Returning home for 2 weeks…my brother has borrowed go clubs so we want to play. My son and I play every couple of weeks here in Minnesota …not great, but getting better. My ? Is this…..all courses I have contacted are happy for us to play but insist we have golf shoes. We won’t have them. Anyone know any decent courses where we could get away with trainers? Thanks…apologies if this is in the wrong section….not typically a forum guy

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Hi. Returning home for 2 weeks…my brother has borrowed go clubs so we want to play. My son and I play every couple of weeks here in Minnesota …not great, but getting better. My ? Is this…..all courses I have contacted are happy for us to play but insist we have golf shoes. We won’t have them. Anyone know any decent courses where we could get away with trainers? Thanks…apologies if this is in the wrong section….not typically a forum guy
Ummm I’m not sure there will be many decent golf courses that allow you to play without golf shoes

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not much difference now between golf shoes and some trainers.
You can more or less wear what you want at ours now.
But on hilly courses trainers are dangerous in the UK.
It rains a tad.

How are they going to know a pair of Nike trainers are not for golf ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few things are on club websites that are there for historical reasons, they just haven't been updated. I've only used spikeless shoes for about 10 years now, no one ever checks them before going out and they have all looked like trainers. Unless you are playing an old school club, you will be absolutely fine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All golf shoes look like trainers these days, shouldn't be a problem, just check that the trainers aren't outlandish in appearance.
Exactly what I was going to say. I've been wearing Puma GS-Fast shoes this summer, and if it wasn't for the fact they say 'golf' on the sole, they'd just look exactly like white running trainers. Nobody working in a pro shop is going to check the soles of them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Warnings can be given out for that sort of language 😉 😄

There are lots of American terms that wash over, or become part of language over here but the s word absolutely goes through me. No reason or logic why 🤷🏻‍♂️
'Sneakers' reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog. Growing up that was literally the only place you would ever see that word. His shoes were called sneakers in the games.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When we were travelling down under a few years ago I played a few rounds wearing my Merrell Moab walking shoes. Not only could they pass as genuine ‘modern’ golf shoes, they had brilliant grip (obviously) and were perfect. Haven’t tried wearing them here but can’t imagine they’d be much push back from a club if I did.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have on occasions worn my walking shoes for playing in, they give better support for my feet than golf shoes, and the only person to ever query it was a visitor I was playing a match against.

Looking from the side or above who could tell the difference with a lot of styles of trainers v golf shoes these days. Last pair of golf shoes I bought online were definitely trainers and not golf shoes.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play Rowley Regis. You could turn up in hobnail boots, ripped jeans and a string vest, drinking a can of Stella, they wouldn’t care!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Wouldn't it be a tragedy for golf shoe manufacturers though if people started just wearing trainers instead of premium priced golf shoes?

I think that the manufacturers and the rules bodies should get together and make shoes with kilties compulsory for golf wear.

That would make it easy for clubs to police, no kilties on your trainers? Get off the golf course!