Struggling with wind

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not the biggest hitter in the world - but I'm not the shortest either - and I played a hole last week that was 440 into the wind. I hit a good drive and a full out 3-rescue to still finish 80 yards short (even if I'd creamed a 3-wood - unlikely at the best of times - I wouldn't have made it). How do I squeeze another 80 yards out of my game in the wind - or should I just face up to my lack of distance and play the hole as a par 5?

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Against the wind has always been a struggle, hence the saying that incoporates "..against the wind" (ie. not much hope); only a precise shot that soars up and cuts into the wind can help and thats a pretty tough call(holding the release)...otherwise yes play as a par 5 as effectively that is what it will feel like... or maybe a good short game will come to the rescue?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would have thought that "soaring up" was the last thing you would want to do when playing into the wind. :) Trying to hit the ball low iwhen the breeze is against you might help a bit. It might be worth teeing the ball a bit lower or trying to use more club with a slower swing (thus putting less backspin on the ball).

Not that I'm any expert of course. :)

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You need to keep it low, but remember for every hole that's into the wind there's usually a few where you get superpower length!

What's the windiest course you've ever played? I remember playing Aldeburgh in winter and no matter how how I hit the ball wind would just seize it and hurl into gorse.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
A head on wind will only really effect a ball once it has reached it's highest point at which stage it will stop and drop with almost no forward movement; roughly 60/70% of the normal distance of any given club. This relates to the majority of shots that climb too quick. However a piercing ball cuts into the wind and continues to climb at a steady/lower trajectory, thus its highest point is approx 80/90% of its normal distance. Holding the release gives a de-lofting effect and "traps" the ball (off the fairway), otherwise achieved by placing the ball back in your stance an inch.

"The more I practice, the more I know I'm crap!"

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
One of the courses in Lincoln I play every Sunday for nearly the last year always has the wind blowing North Eastish which is great you know on every hole how to play the shot. Imagine the confusion this weekend when the wind was blowing South Westish, long shots where they are always short and visa versa, shots going left instead of right and right instead of left neadless to say not a good round, I hope it's back to normal on Sunday

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A 440 yord par 4, with the prevailing wind from green to tee, probably has a stroke index of 9 or less, so unless you are a single figure golfer, you should consider it to be a par 5 and make the par with your stroke. Don't fight the wind. Use it when it is in your favour, and allow for it when it's not.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks all - some good advice there. The windiest round I've ever had was on the Jubilee Course at St Andrews. It was simply unbelievable. Coming home up the 16 or 17th I think. I honestly had to hit driver, 3-wood, 3-wood... and still didn' t get there!

B

birdieman

440 into a headwind is tough for anybody so dont worry. Tips for wind play "when it's breezy, swing easy". From tee widen stance, lower tee, less release of hands through impact. From fairway take as many extra clubs as you want (at least 2) to reduce loft and reduce spin, ball back in stance to keep it low as well. You can hit a modern 460cc driver off the fairway, needs some practice though, but an excellent choice if you have to get home in 2. A good wind ball like the Callaway HX tour will also help.
Actively head to the range or practice field on a windy day and practice. Everybody practices what they're already good at, better practicing the difficult stuff. Good luck.