stopping a swing

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha, that is impressive! I thought Bubba was the GOAT when it came to stopping 3/4 of the way through a shot and pin-pointing an exact spectator who was talking or clicking a camera.

"Yeah, I saw ya, yeah, you, in the red shirt" - GOAT swing stopping

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
This is one of the occasions in the Rules of Golf where any doubt regarding the player's intention is resolved against the player.

Decision 14/1.5

Q. A player begins his downswing with the intention of striking the ball but decides during the downswing not to strike the ball. The player is unable to stop the club before it reaches the ball, but he is able to swing intentionally over the top of the ball. Is the player deemed to have made a stroke?

A. No. The player is considered to have checked his downswing voluntarily by altering the path of his downswing and missing the ball even though the swing carried the clubhead beyond the ball.
If the player had not successfully checked his downswing (i.e. he had struck the ball), he is considered to have made a stroke.
Any doubt regarding the player’s intent must be resolved against the player.

Quite how the Committee is going to reach that decision (no pun intended) is left as an exercise for the reader.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Earl Wood used to do all kinds of things to put tiger off on his down swing when he was a kid. its clearly a well learned skill to be able to hit the abort button that far into the swing especially with the longer clubs. For example he would let tiger's bag drop just as he reaches the top of his swing. Haha

I can do it with wedges sometimes if the club gets stuck on the way back. That isn't too hard to do.

I wish I could do with the driver when I realise I am in a mess. :rofl:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Earl Wood used to do all kinds of things to put tiger off on his down swing when he was a kid. its clearly a well learned skill to be able to hit the abort button that far into the swing especially with the longer clubs. For example he would let tiger's bag drop just as he reaches the top of his swing. Haha

I can do it with wedges sometimes if the club gets stuck on the way back. That isn't too hard to do.

I wish I could do with the driver when I realise I am in a mess. :rofl:

I only realise I'm in a mess about 0.2 seconds from impact.....well screwed by then:clap::fore:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wish I could have done it today when the idiot in front of us rang the bell, 30 yards to the right of the green and behind the trees, rather than looking back to see if we could see him.

The bell being intended for when there is a blind shot to green when it is played as a par 4 rather than, as per today, as par 3.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wish I could but my swing is over in a nano-second. Tempo and length too fast and too long to have that sort of control. Rather than wishing I could stop a swing, I wish I was stronger in mind to step off a shot more often when I am definitely not comfortable. Too often I stand there, thinking "it'll be ok" and of course it rarely is