Stiff to reg driver shaft.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi I have a Callaway XR driver 10.5 with stiff San diago project X 6.0 shaft this is the standard shaft for this driver.
just had a go of my mates big Bertha with a regular Kuro Kage Black 50g shaft .
i hit this reg shaft about 20yds past my own which I was fitted for about 18 months ago.
what are the main differences between these two shafts and stiff and regular in general
driver swing speed was 108 mph last time I was fitted .

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose if you have a really smooth swing you can get away with a much softer lighter shaft. problems might be when you really go after it. 6.0 project x want that stiff when i had one in a driver. When i tried the Kuro Kage, even in stiff it went into orbit

but i don't really know that much about shafts TBH

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i suppose if you have a really smooth swing you can get away with a much softer lighter shaft. problems might be when you really go after it. 6.0 project x want that stiff when i had one in a driver. When i tried the Kuro Kage, even in stiff it went into orbit

but i don't really know that much about shafts TBH

i had a x stiff in my sldr driver. i hit the ladies flex shaft 18 to 20 yards further. however, dispersion was all to cock. that's the idea of a fitting. finding that middle ground

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The KURO KAGE is a high launch, high spin shaft. The Project X is a mid launch, low spin shaft.

So even if they were both stiff shafts then they would still react very differently and the KURO KAGE would fly higher. The key to finding the correct driver shaft is one that will get it airbourne and getting carrying out there. It might just be that you do not launch the Project X high enough to maximize your driving potential.

I tend to take a lot of fitting sessions with a pinch of salt, when it comes to results. I know from my current driver I perform best with a low spin, low launch shaft (Matrix Black Tie). So when I got the M1 the other day I naturally ended up with a low launch, low spin shaft (Project X HZRDUS).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The KURO KAGE is a high launch, high spin shaft. The Project X is a mid launch, low spin shaft.

So even if they were both stiff shafts then they would still react very differently and the KURO KAGE would fly higher. The key to finding the correct driver shaft is one that will get it airbourne and getting carrying out there. It might just be that you do not launch the Project X high enough to maximize your driving potential.

I tend to take a lot of fitting sessions with a pinch of salt, when it comes to results. I know from my current driver I perform best with a low spin, low launch shaft (Matrix Black Tie). So when I got the M1 the other day I naturally ended up with a low launch, low spin shaft (Project X HZRDUS).
yes get this but I hit down slightly and my pro is trying to get me to hit up .
its coming but it's a long haul.
just could not believe how well I hit the reg shaft.
first hole is 375 yds forward tee 30 yds but I was 5 yds short of the green and its January.

Thanks for replies
billy.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
yes get this but I hit down slightly and my pro is trying to get me to hit up .
its coming but it's a long haul.
just could not believe how well I hit the reg shaft.
first hole is 375 yds forward tee 30 yds but I was 5 yds short of the green and its January.

Thanks for replies
billy.

The important line in this is 'just could not believe how well I hit the regular shaft'. Drop the word regular (and forget about it as it's misleading) and state 'just could not believe how well I hit the Kuro Kage black 50 gram. Flex is only one factor of a shaft fitting and should never be isolated from all other factors. One shafts stiff could easily perform identical to anothers regular or X stiff etc.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ye, I bet this is more of a weight thing than a flex thing. You need to find out if you can hit the lighter shaft all day every day and be accurate.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The important line in this is 'just could not believe how well I hit the regular shaft'. Drop the word regular (and forget about it as it's misleading) and state 'just could not believe how well I hit the Kuro Kage black 50 gram. Flex is only one factor of a shaft fitting and should never be isolated from all other factors. One shafts stiff could easily perform identical to anothers regular or X stiff etc.
yes get that just order a shaft to see if I can handle it .thanks