stiff or x-stiff shafts

beutel

Visit site
hi,

i just restarted playing golf after taking 2 years of to focus more on the gym and now im hitting it way to long for my regular shafts.
im hitting my 7 iron 200yds carry with my regular flex shaft, but the club feels like a noodle and the ballflight pretty high too.

my driver is waaaay to high with a carry about 280yds.

With a stiffer shaft i would it longer and it would feel better.
should i rather use stiffs or x-stiff shafts?

thanks for all answers!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have no practical experience at all being slow swing speed. However my understanding from reading is that flexes are not standard and the position of the 'kick point' has as much influence as the flex.
So if the feel of standard is not right for you I would try different options rather than assume one is better.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Simple answer.....see a club fitter who'll fit you with the right shaft. Even within stiff/extra stiff they'll be multiple shaft options.

If you're not intending buying new clubs, see the fitter, get your specs then buy 2nd hand off eBay, golfbidder etc.

And if you're carrying a 7 iron 200 yards, your driver should be much longer than 280 yards!

wjemather

Visit site
hi,

i just restarted playing golf after taking 2 years of to focus more on the gym and now im hitting it way to long for my regular shafts.
im hitting my 7 iron 200yds carry with my regular flex shaft, but the club feels like a noodle and the ballflight pretty high too.

my driver is waaaay to high with a carry about 280yds.

With a stiffer shaft i would it longer and it would feel better.
should i rather use stiffs or x-stiff shafts?

thanks for all answers!
You should get fitted by a professional and ignore any other advice you get (especially on the internet).

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get fitted by someone that knows what they are doing. If you buy new off the shelf it could be an expensive mistake if you get one that is too stiff/flexible for your swing.

Albo

Visit site
I can thin a 7i 200 easy.

I’m going to assume the OP is real here and say if you hit 200 on the fly with your 7i and carry driver 280 you probably don’t need to change shafts. Hight especially in irons is a really important metric. Don’t strive to reduce it.
Others have said it, the only answer should be a club fitting.
But carrying your 7i 28 yards further than the PGA tour average and also your driver carry is 5 yards further than your average you will struggle to get more distance than that, but what a good club fitter will do is be able to give you your real carry yardages so no longer have to make up stories to tell the strangers on the internet

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Once again people are looking at the number on the sole of the club.....
There are 26° 7 irons out there and if you have a decent swing speed and you use a low spin ball you can get 200 yards.....carry? Maybe not but total...feasible

Burnsey

Visit site
Once again people are looking at the number on the sole of the club.....
There are 26° 7 irons out there and if you have a decent swing speed and you use a low spin ball you can get 200 yards.....carry? Maybe not but total...feasible

Agreed.

I get 170 yards with a 7 iron from one set and 145 from the other.

I often carry two clubs with the same number, depending on where I'm playing.

HPIMG

Visit site
I would imagine a guy maybe in his 20s who’s athletic with a fast swing speed would carry 200 yards with ease.
I am 42 I swing my driver currently about 103/105mph not slow but definitely not fast and I carry my 7i 175 yards with ease I can force a little more if I really go after it.
So definitely not surprised some people carry 200 or even more with a 7i