steel shafts vs graphite shafts

Jezzer777

Hacker
Visit site
Thinking of getting some new irons and wondering under what circumstances someone might consider getting graphite shafted irons? I'm guessing it comes down to distance vs feel - is this correct if so graphite shafts on a forged better player iron may be foolish but on a massive cavity back may not be so daft. Also is there typically a difference in trajectory / flight?

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
All other things not considered - any there would be a few!, I'd say if you're under 40 and have no physical ailments such as tendonitis or other joint / muscular problems, stick with steel. Starting out or improving and need help with distance / forgiveness, go with a lighter weight steel with a softer tip. Any decent pro shop should point you in the right direction.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There used to be quite a difference between steel and graphite. Graphite, being considerably lighter, was/can be used to increase swing speed but consistency was a problem - the same feeling shots could be spot on for distance, 15 yards further or 10 yards shorter! First time I considered steel, the 4 shots that convinced me to go steel were all over the fairway but within a yard of each other for distance!

These days, lighter steel and better production techniques for graphite have blurred the edges considerably. I've actually found that a heavier shaft suits my swing, so steel for me, but everyone is different.

As usual, proper fitting works best but trying several before actually money is worthwhile too.

Graphite will still probably help slower swing speeds and softer/lighter shafts are probably easier on the body though.