Steel Shafted 3 wood

Lee762

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I had my swing speed measured. For my driver I am swinging at 90mph, however, this is with a graphite shafted driver. What is really confusing is that I am swinging my steel-shafted 3 wood at 89 mph.

I am really confused and now thinking of trying to find a steel-shafted driver and see what difference that makes.

Any suggestions or idea as to why the above is the way it is.

Lee762

Visit site
Hi Ethan,

7iron carry is 135

Driver is ping g5 with NV65 stiff. I have tried the regular shaft and it makes no difference to the swing speed, I just lose even more ball speed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Ethan,

7iron carry is 135

Driver is ping g5 with NV65 stiff. I have tried the regular shaft and it makes no difference to the swing speed, I just lose even more ball speed.

If the end result is trying to get more distance with the driver try a more modern lighter weigh (all round) driver the G5 is really old tech, good in it's day but well superseded now.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That 7 iron carry sounds consistent with 90mph driver speed. The G5 is a decent stick, although NV65 Stiff might be a tad firm for that swing, although less so if you have a quick tempo.

3 woods haven't come with TT DGS300 steel shafts for a while, so I presume this is a pretty old stick. While the 3 woods shaft are often (but not always) a few grams heavier, say 70-75g, a TT DG S300 is way heavier, more like 120g and also with a high kick point giving a low flight. I haven't seen a WITB for any pro recently with a steel shaft in any wood. I can't immediately explain why the clubbed speed is so similar to the driver, but I am pretty sure a steel shaft in the 3 wood is not the ideal choice.

Lee762

Visit site
That 7 iron carry sounds consistent with 90mph driver speed. The G5 is a decent stick, although NV65 Stiff might be a tad firm for that swing, although less so if you have a quick tempo.

3 woods haven't come with TT DGS300 steel shafts for a while, so I presume this is a pretty old stick. While the 3 woods shaft are often (but not always) a few grams heavier, say 70-75g, a TT DG S300 is way heavier, more like 120g and also with a high kick point giving a low flight. I haven't seen a WITB for any pro recently with a steel shaft in any wood. I can't immediately explain why the clubbed speed is so similar to the driver, but I am pretty sure a steel shaft in the 3 wood is not the ideal choice.

Hi Ethan,

I have tried regular shafts but just end up spraying it everywhere. The 3 wood is the old Titleist PT13.

Lee762

Visit site
What is the difference in loft between the driver and 3 wood? Are the shaft lengths similar?

Hi, the difference in loft is 4 degrees, driver being 9.

The driver is 45inches and the 3 wood is around 42/43.

Im not so worried about the distance, just confused as to why the swing speeds are roughly the same give or take 1-2mph.