Steel shafted 3 wood - thinking about changing...

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Having had the steel shafted 3 wood in the bag for 10 odd years I'm thinking about changing. What am I going too gain in a modern 3 wood? Conversely am I going to lose anything by changing?

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You'll probably gain yards as the shafts are lighter,some people say you will lose control but modern shafts are miles better than their predecessors. I there are some cracking fairway woods out there at the minute,go try a few.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having had the steel shafted 3 wood in the bag for 10 odd years I'm thinking about changing. What am I going too gain in a modern 3 wood? Conversely am I going to lose anything by changing?

I've just ordered my replacement for my steel shafted Wilson 3 wood this morning! Should have it by tomorrow ready to give it a whirl at the range. Went for a Titleist 913f stiff. Tried a few out last week and the 913 (and 910f for that matter) just seemed so much easier to hit off the deck. Felt longer, but I was only hitting range balls at night so couldn't truthfully say how much longer.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Booked in for a custom fit session on Saturday - they stock Callaway, Taylor Made, Ping & Cleveland. I was given a TM Rbz 2 to have a hit with at lunchtime today and it did seem to feel as though it came off the face with a bit more oomph but I'm not sure if the stock shaft suits me as is like to reduce height by a wee bit. I tried the Titleist 913Fd which I didn't get on with which surprised me given I have the 910 Hybrid which I like. Like the look of the Callaway X2 Hot and the Taylor Made jet speed range but will wait and see.