Steel or graphite

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
From a personal perspective as a short hitter graphite has given more length than steel because the clubs are lighter and I can get more clubhead speed. I also find that my dispersion has improved with graphite.

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

Graphite is fine if you have got your pension book and skirt ready, because there are no excuses for graphite shafts in mens irons (unless you Mrs Doubtfire, and thats only because Yonex insist) unless you are out and proud ;)

Graphite is for the elderley, infirm or my mate Camp Freddy. On second thoughts not even Camp Freedy would play graphite :cool:

Edgey

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Yonex had steel shafts when I was using them. Though apparently Yonex's graphite iron shafts are suposed to be the closest to a steel shaft there is... How true that is, is another matter.

The main problem with graphite shafts realy no matter what sort of a club its in is the torque. Or should I say twist. Steel tends not to twist, but graphite even in stiff shafts twists, though usually not as bad as in the softer graphite shafts.

That said Torque/twist problems with graphite is getting less & less of a problem each year.

To say that graphite is only for the elderly & infirm is perhaps a little outdated as an opinion.Though yes the stigma is certainly still there.

My main gripe with most graphite shafts is the lack of feel & feedback through the shafts.

However, for anyone with elbow or wrist problems or similar, they can be a good thing & it doesn't matter what age or sex you are. They are useful for some people.

No-one complains about graphite shafts in drivers & woods. Okay, I'll re-phrase that few people complain about graphite shafts in woods. It would however be nice to have steel shafts as an option with drivers fairways & hybrids.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi

Graphite is fine if you have got your pension book and skirt ready, because there are no excuses for graphite shafts in mens irons (unless you Mrs Doubtfire, and thats only because Yonex insist) unless you are out and proud ;)

Graphite is for the elderley, infirm or my mate Camp Freddy. On second thoughts not even Camp Freedy would play graphite :cool:

Edgey

I'm not even going to argue with this tosh.....

I have stiff graphite shafts in my irons,
I vote for the monster raving fruitarian monkeys on Mars party
I wear pink boxer shorts, and
I go train spotting at the weekend.

Only one of these is true.

get a life.....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can't see a problem with torque in graphite shafts, or you wouldn't swing a 460cc head with one, it would be all over the place.

Graphgite is more expensive. However, it is easier to deign characteristics into a graphite shaft which give the performance that the deisigner was looking for.

For me, graphite has the potential to hit stupid long, but I lack consistency with it. I don't want to hit an 8i between 140 and 180 yards, I like a narrower spread. I also like heavy clubs, suit my swing.

It can dampen vibration, so it may be a good idea for people with wrist/elbow problems, and gives better results for slower swing speeds.

I don't look down on people with graphite irons, it would be daft, especially if they then give me a good tonking.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi

Edgey

Like your style....the main problem as murph said is the lack of consistency especially if you hit the ball hard...they can work for people other than coffin dodgers but they don't work for me in my irons....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When graphite shafts were first introduced, all the top players tried them out.
The problem was inconsistency.
The companies couldn't make a full set of graphite shafts that matched exactly.
It was much easier to make a set of steel shafts that were all the same.
Because the shafts were all different, the top players stuck to the steel shafts in their irons.
Although now the problem has been resolved, the fashion is to stick with the steel shafts because we dont need those 'easy to hit clubs' :)
I think if Sergio, Rory and Paddy started using graphite shafts in their irons, who in here wouldn't be out trying them tomorrow? Any thoughts Homer? ;)

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've moved to graphite shafts recently, in an attempt to slow my swing down (swinging too hard was causing some pretty wayward strikes with my steel-shafted irons).

As a result of this, my swing has slowed, I make much more consistent contact with the ball and my scores are tumbling (although I have actually managed to lose about 10yds per club, which surprises me after reading the earlier posts - imagine this is due to the slower swing).

It is true that occasionally a shot may be a mad distance - I've hit "decent" 5-irons 110 yards, and average 8 irons 160-170, which does make you want to throw them away when it happens, but such shots are very rare, and not enough for me to go back to steel just yet.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
It's all about quality. Well, actually it's mostly about quality and the rest is about finding the correct shaft and having it spined and floed properly. This is a step that is SO important it cannot be overlooked by serious players.

A cheap graphite shaft with be ok on center hits but will twist much more on off center hits leading to a bit of inconsistency. Really good quality graphite shafts don't do this as much. You don't have to buy super expensive shafts if you know where to look in the component industry. Raven shafts have some of the very lowest torque ratings around and are reasonably priced.

There is also the option these days of lightweight steel shafts. I've played graphite in my MX20's for a year now and really like them as they're not superlight, but now feel I'd like the extra feel you get with steel so will change to a nice lightweight steel shaft like the Nippon NSpro 850 or 950.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi

Edgey

I hope after that quote, all your woods are steel shafted. ;)

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Hi

Edgey
Even Captain Captain Montgomerie has switched to steel shafted irons this year.

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

Edgey

get a life.....

I presume you play off the Ladies tees, because their is no other acceptable place to be playing those chopper clubs from. :D

Edgey

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Hi

Edgey

get a life.....

I presume you play off the Ladies tees, because their is no other acceptable place to be playing those chopper clubs from. :D

Edgey

Come on, guys, can't you tell when you're being wound up?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

Edgey

Yep, I'm always off the ladies tees, that's why I never got down to 7 at my last club....because the SSS on the girls course was only 65. :)

I like my graphite irons, they are longer, which helps my posture (we can't all be 5'7" Mizuno size japanese players) and there's no noticeable loss of accuracy.

I used to like living in the dark ages of witchcraft and hocus pocus, now I've grown up and play with whatever suits my game best.

f.w.i.w. I wouldn't use regular graphite anyway....the YS design stiff with the mid-kick is an awesomely reliable shaft....superior in every way to a bog standard True Temper steel.

I'm guessing you have rifles or something. Good for you, it's about what works.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've just gone from "firm" graphite to "regular" Nippon 950's in steel. They were giving me the best distance and dispertion of any of the shafts (including graphite) that I tried at Mizuno.
I swing like a strawberry by the way

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have had loads of different steel shafts over the years including the monstrous Fat Shafts which were deisgned specifically to reduce torque. However through a combination of the way I swing and various back, shoulder and wrist problems, I've always been pretty short but swapping to graphite when I got my Cally X20's gave me an instant 10 yards per club.

Of all my clubs, the only ones with steel shafts that really worked for me and gave me the best response were my R7's. Having played graphite for about 4 years now I'm use to the weight etc and via SC know exactly how far I hit them. When I switched to my TM tour burners last year I found the optimum club for me in terms of looks (ok not as pretty as a forged but thin-ish top line and smaller head) and the shaft and loft combination are working well. I now average 144 for a 7 which is up from an improved 139 from the X20.

I have no problem with using graphite and see no stigma attached to them at all. If my game was suddenly to hit a new peak and I could get down to 9 or below then I'd look at finding something with a bit more playability and would get a C/F session to see whats was working best. As that is someway off happening I'll take any stick going for using graphite and enjoy my game from the short stuff.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RGDave: Oooo get you......Pretty defensive about your Graphite shafts, you're not ever sooooo slightly embarassed by them are you ? ;)

*walks away whistling*