Staying connected when putting

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The next segment I want to improve in my game is my putting. I'm not a bad putter, but I feel I can do better.

To this end the wife is ordering a V-Easy for Christmas to help with my goal.

One this I did notice while practicing last night, is something Bob highlighted in a thread (....Maybe a month ago).

Bob highlighted, using pictures, the difference between Luke Donald's stroke and, from memory, Lee Westwood.

The main difference (after impact) is the right arm moving away from the body. I noticed myself doing this last night and was wondering.....

....... If I were to use the connection drill for irons, be it a glove or a towel under my lead arm pit, would this help or hinder a putting stroke??

As always. Any and all opinions welcome.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There are two basic putting styles and putters to match them. Face balanced putters require a pendulum back and forward stroke, Toe-Heel balanced putters require a rounded putting stroke.

The Pendulum stroke requires the shoulders to rock back and forward independent of the torso, this will detatch the arms from the body. The rounded stroke keeps the arms more connected to the chest as the shoulders and arms rotate.

I hope this is of some help.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If I were to use the connection drill for irons, be it a glove or a towel under my lead arm pit, would this help or hinder a putting stroke??

Lots of people will tell you that putting is a very individual part of the game and you should do what works for you. I agree.

However, if you want to get the feeling of your arms, shoulders and upper body working together, try this..
Rather than having the gloves or a towel under your armpits, place them between your elbows and your torso.
Then stand with your back to a wall/door etc with your bum cheeks actually touching the wall.
Then when you do your stroke, keep the pressure even between both cheeks and the wall.
If you have any lower body rotation during the stroke, you will feel the pressure change from side to side.

HTH

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just to add to my previous post: Pendulum putting requires you to bend over more, this allows the shoulders and arms to hinge independent from the torso. The rounded or hinged style needs a more upright stance that keeps the arms and chest connected.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I think the pendulum style suits any balance putter, as far as I know but I'll leave it to the experts to answer as that is who can advise in this section.

From what I've seen on TV many pro's use a pendulum stroke, and many of them have varying types of putters.

Also reading Dave Pelz putting bible, the style and balance of the putter has nothing to do with the stroke style. But the type of balance of the putter will tend to make the ball deviate more from off-centre strikes.

Bob, what stroke does the v-easy promote? And do I need to stand a certain way to use it :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, what stroke does the v-easy promote? And do I need to stand a certain way to use it :)

It promotes a natural swing.
It helps you to feel as if you're standing with your eyes more over the ball and the arms more relaxed at address.
Then, the hips should stay firm and the wrists shouldn't flick through the stroke.
It's just the shoulders that create the simple pendulum stroke that gives consistency in direction and distance control.
HTH :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the pendulum style suits any balance putter, as far as I know but I'll leave it to the experts to answer as that is who can advise in this section.

From what I've seen on TV many pro's use a pendulum stroke, and many of them have varying types of putters.

Also reading Dave Pelz putting bible, the style and balance of the putter has nothing to do with the stroke style. But the type of balance of the putter will tend to make the ball deviate more from off-centre strikes.

Dont take my word for it, these videos are made by someone who knows a bit about putting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpnX0SLOb98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpnX0SLOb98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0d6ES5ygBg&feature=related

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes bob gave that tip,and the best putter at our club gave me the same tip.
For me its worked a treat and my putting has improved immensely.
Justin rose and a few others tuck a bit of there shirt from around the chest region under there
armpit,this aids connection.