Statistics

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
But that’s the range where the amateur is worse at, hence hybrids, forgiving irons etc .. it’s also been my motivation to improve my driving distance and accuracy as just getting to 150 or 160 makes life so much better. I do try to hit 5 irons and hybrids as straight as possible but even so I just view them as distance clubs as opposed to scoring clubs.

Thats what I was getting at, improved driving is so effective at getting away from that range!! Its all i think about off the tee, under no feasible circumstances leave more than 140 in!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
In spite of my Statistics background, I believe keeping these sort of stats has only limited - but perhaps important - benefit. That 'important' part is that it provides info that allows you to think more about your game than you might otherwise! The reason I believe stats only have limited benefit is that they are too often used poorly. Conditions such as pin placement likely change every round. That alone invalidates trying to compare different rounds imo!

The above stated...it IS possible to evaluate, to some degree, individual parts of an individual round using such stats. GIR is not a great metric as, as others have stated, the ball might still be miles from the hole. Likewise, the consequent 3-putt likely blows simple count of putts. This is the reason the 'strokes gained/lost' (but to who/what?!) stat is more helpful - but requires the dreaded time/effort to measure 'properly'. Even so, 'strokes gained/lost' really only compares one player against (an)other(s), not whether a particular player has actually improved or got poorer.

So I'd advise care about what stats you use! Average score on a hole seems a much better (and likely much simpler) metric than trying to copy Pro stats!

Agreed, if you dont understand stats.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In spite of my Statistics background, I believe keeping these sort of stats has only limited - but perhaps important - benefit. That 'important' part is that it provides info that allows you to think more about your game than you might otherwise! The reason I believe stats only have limited benefit is that they are too often used poorly. Conditions such as pin placement likely change every round. That alone invalidates trying to compare different rounds imo!

The above stated...it IS possible to evaluate, to some degree, individual parts of an individual round using such stats. GIR is not a great metric as, as others have stated, the ball might still be miles from the hole. Likewise, the consequent 3-putt likely blows simple count of putts. This is the reason the 'strokes gained/lost' (but to who/what?!) stat is more helpful - but requires the dreaded time/effort to measure 'properly'. Even so, 'strokes gained/lost' really only compares one player against (an)other(s), not whether a particular player has actually improved or got poorer.

So I'd advise care about what stats you use! Average score on a hole seems a much better (and likely much simpler) metric than trying to copy Pro stats!
I don’t really worry about being on the green 30ft away … the putter has to deliver once on the green, it is partly why putting stats are not worth considering unless you align them to distance .

D

Deleted member 1147

Have you looked at breaking the hole down into your favourite distances/ clubs and seeing if you can minimise the score? Or reduce the risk of a double bogey?
By changing my approach to the hole I improved my scores.

I always look at how better players play holes; off the tee, where to hit approaches etc. As that gives a good guide to improving for me.
So if I hit iron and lay back, but then notice that some of the really low lads hit 3 wood or driver, I’ll happily try that.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I also keep my average scores for each hole. But when I look at it, the ones where I have the worst score relative to par are just all the longest holes, so I can't really think of any other way to play them. I just need to hit it better I guess. :LOL:

I disagree. Depends how you are playing them now. If you are trying to get on in 2 to a 440 yard hole, you likely bring trouble into play and hence increased chances of double bogey or worse and increase the average score. But at a handicap of 16, accepting that you have a stroke on the hole, hit two 6 irons, leave wedge from fairway into the green, you will likely make 5 more often than not. Your scoring opportunities are more likely to be on shorter holes where you have a shot - maximise those opportunities and reduce horror shows on the low index longer holes. Just my opinion.

evemccc

Visit site

Good post

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree. Depends how you are playing them now. If you are trying to get on in 2 to a 440 yard hole, you likely bring trouble into play and hence increased chances of double bogey or worse and increase the average score. But at a handicap of 16, accepting that you have a stroke on the hole, hit two 6 irons, leave wedge from fairway into the green, you will likely make 5 more often than not. Your scoring opportunities are more likely to be on shorter holes where you have a shot - maximise those opportunities and reduce horror shows on the low index longer holes. Just my opinion.
They're not quite that long, they are reachable in two I just have to hit two good shots - sometimes I do and sometimes I don't! And for me my driver is pretty much my favourite club in the bag and one of the most reliable anyway, so hitting something shorter with at least an equal chance of missing the fairway just doesn't make much sense.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only stat I really need to knows today is that last time out - yesterday - I managed to faff it round my home track in 13 over my CH. An utter shambles. Fortunately I don't need detailed stats to tell me where my problems are...between my tee shot and first putt or chip-on - and to be more precise - between my ears...o_O