State of your greens!

D

Deleted member 1147

I played a course at the weekend which had lovely smooth surfaces (for the most part), but you could tell they don't maintain them properly as they were like sponge.
A decent shot wouldn't stop & spin, it just bounced up in the air.
Whereas my course has just had the scarification done, and yes it's annoying for a week or two to play on uneven surfaces, but we tend to hold an AM-AM or 4BBB the first weekend afterwards.
Then, a few weeks later they should be back to their normal excellent surface, be healthy, and take a ball rather than bouncing it off.

D

Deleted member 1147

Also, if people are leaving Wentworth to find better greens they ought to head for Bearwood Lakes.
Paul kept apologising for them being slow, as it was raining and they hadn't been mown that morning.
But they were still pretty fantastic to me, as I kept knocking it past with ease :p
Must have been at least 10.5-11 even in those conditions

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
This is the perfect time for the greens to be done - still lots of warmth for the greens to recover quickly- all major comps should be done and the club should always factor that in when doing the diary ,

And every year the same people whinge about the work being done - sometimes I think they expect greens just to become great all by themselves

Yep!

ours were tined last week, and pretty much healed, followed by some scarification this week. Don't know the full technicalities of depth, width etc. but played on them Tuesday evening, and they were still pretty ok. Playing partners were raving about them, but for me a little on the slow side. Still, will be all good by next week.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
They did our greens a few weeks ago, nice of them to do it whilst I was on holiday, it’s annoying when they do it but we’ve got the best greens in the area so can’t complain

D

Deleted member 1147

They did our greens a few weeks ago, nice of them to do it whilst I was on holiday, it’s annoying when they do it but we’ve got the best greens in the area so can’t complain

Which course?

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They must be good then, as I played in the meet at Coventry GC last week and the greens were superb :thup:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm having a little smile at some of the comments people are making about visitors talking about how good the greens are at the club they are visiting. People are polite. My son played our course on Monday. He said the greens were patchy and poor, they had been when I had played there before my holiday. I went to a meeting on Monday night and 3 people told the owner that they had played with people in the previous week who had all said how good the greens were. I know who's opinion I trust on this.

Complimenting a course is what visitors do when they get invited to play somewhere. We are British and we don't like to upset people by telling them their course is either poor or just plain bog average.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our greens are great, the ladies currently playing in the Amateur Stroke Play Championships are struggling with their speed, and England Golf have said today that they are the best greens they've seen anywhere this year.

We took advantage of the early weather and brought forward some of the work that would have been taking part around now, so they won't need touching other than the odd micro tining which is nothing to worry about and hardly noticeable.

I've played lots of local courses in the area in A & B matches and we have by far the best greens and course condition, our greens staff have worked wonders in these challenging weather conditions.

For Gods sake stop gloating. :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
went out yesterday evening and ours had been finely tinned - but putted pretty much as well as ever. And had been 'greened' - not sure if that's 'real' fertiliser/dressing or just a 'dye' to warn us not to lick out balls.