State of your greens!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our greens have been the best for over 30 years’. The Club has changed the agronomist has been a plus 1 golfer and seems to know what he is talking about.

We recently held The Northern Counties Seniors Championships and received considerable praise.

However the Club has undertaken the following this week:

“ The work includes the scarification of the greens at 25mm with 2mm wide at close spacing. During this process sand will be injected into opening created in the thatch layer. This will be followed by overseeding as we have created the perfect seed bed.”

Played today and it was like being on Blackpool beach. Terrible and the “troops” were very unhappy with putting down lines.

My questions are is it too early to carry out this work and how has your Club managed with their greens over the very dry summer and what state are they at present?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We play qualifiers all year round and our greens are as good as I have ever seen them - 11.4 on the stimp.

D

Deleted member 15344

This is the perfect time for the greens to be done - still lots of warmth for the greens to recover quickly- all major comps should be done and the club should always factor that in when doing the diary ,

And every year the same people whinge about the work being done - sometimes I think they expect greens just to become great all by themselves

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Stop the press. Golfers who know nothing about green keeping get upset when essential maintenance is done. It is not unusual to do tjis work at this time of year, as the greens recover quicker.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Ours are in great condition at the moment, but not very fast. The greenkeepers decided to leave them a bit longer because the hot and dry weather did put a lot of stress on them. My guess is they will be mown down and pick up considerably in speed for next weeks club championship. The week after that is ususally when they do the aerification and sanding.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our course care week was last week.

Every year, spring and late summer. Seems to be pretty standard in our part of the south East.

Now if they were complaining about fairways.... (Might start a thread on ours!!)

DCB

Visit site
With it having been a hot dry summer most courses will have made use of their sprinkler systems to keep the greens looking nice. Any thatch within the greens will have been stopping the water getting to the root zone where it is supposed to go. Better to get the greens properly treated while there is still time for them to repair themselves quickly. In a fortnight you'll wonder what all the fuss was about ;)

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Stop the press. Golfers who know nothing about green keeping get upset when essential maintenance is done. It is not unusual to do tjis work at this time of year, as the greens recover quicker.

It staggers me the amount of golfers who think they know better than the professionals. We had ours done a couple weeks back and one usual suspect moaned that not another club in the country would do their greens in August, til I told him of least 3 others locally that had done theirs as well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our greens have been the best for over 30 years’. The Club has changed the agronomist has been a plus 1 golfer and seems to know what he is talking about.

We recently held The Northern Counties Seniors Championships and received considerable praise.

However the Club has undertaken the following this week:

“ The work includes the scarification of the greens at 25mm with 2mm wide at close spacing. During this process sand will be injected into opening created in the thatch layer. This will be followed by overseeding as we have created the perfect seed bed.”

Played today and it was like being on Blackpool beach. Terrible and the “troops” were very unhappy with putting down lines.

My questions are is it too early to carry out this work and how has your Club managed with their greens over the very dry summer and what state are they at present?

best time to do remedial work IMO, still warmth in the ground to less recovery time. Nairn Dunbar Hollow tine after their 4 day open ( beginning Aug)and within 3 weeks you wouldn't know it had been done. we have gradened in July before and within 2 weeks you wouldn't know it had been done

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours greens are a lovely surface (all be it slow) but the rest of the course is horrid. Fairways, fringes, tee boxes have been pretty much lost. This season is a write off now. Just played my last qualifier for the year. Utterly pointless when you get worse lies in the middle of the fairway than you do in the rough.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Ours were done several weeks ago and you can almost already not tell they have been done.

The greens always play well and are often the best aspect of the course and have been for years and years so let them do what they do. Loads of members moaned but 90% of the season their singing their praises.

Can't win.

Bigger issue at our course is lazy buggers not repairing pitch marks which lessens the quality of the greens.

I play evenings and scour the greens after holing out for a couple of mins to repair pitch marks. I counted 10 the other day on one hole, no excuse.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today.. club had a notice up warning greens were in poor condition due to being treated at moment

Indeed they were but hit my best round in ages. Hard to judge the putts but we were warned and all greens the same. That’s all we ask

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We switched to an August greens renovation program several years ago, as have many of the courses in our area .

Great idea as it means that there will a (normally) 6 -8 weeks of good enough weather for the seed to germinate and for the greens to recover back to where they were. It has meant that our greens have been inn excellent condition during the winter for the past few seasons.

Too many years of leaving it to late September and the weather then being so bad that the greens never recovered until the following spring.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We switched to an August greens renovation program several years ago, as have many of the courses in our area .

Great idea as it means that there will a (normally) 6 -8 weeks of good enough weather for the seed to germinate and for the greens to recover back to where they were. It has meant that our greens have been inn excellent condition during the winter for the past few seasons.

Too many years of leaving it to late September and the weather then being so bad that the greens never recovered until the following spring.

Indeed.

Ours is now accepted in it's 3rd week in August spot - but it did take a bit of time for people to appreciate it.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Necessary evil. Ours are being done at the moment too. Still putt OK even the holes and sand. Will be great again in a week or two. Perfect time to do it IMO