standing too far/close to the ball at address...

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hit a couple of shots off the heel of my driver the last couple of rounds and this got me thinking i really need to get my set up sorted, especially with the driver and 3 wood.

can standing too close or too far from the ball cause hooks and slices?

is there any set routine that you can use to make sure you are the correct distance from the ball at adress, especially for the clubs with longer shafts where it becomes easier to get it wrong.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Basically your arms should be hanging comfortably down from your shoulders. There should be no reaching out or holding them in too tight. If anything a little further away with driver is favourable. Can you post a picture or video of your set-up?

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i'll try and get one with the driver over the next few days.

since i posted my swing up here and worked on my arm position and height i've improved a lot, but sometimes i still hit a driver where the ball comes left of the heel of the club.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
my pro was using this 'set up' for trying to erradiacate my hook. Well, one of many.

He suggested that I should be closer to the ball on set up. Because I was too far awy from the ball it was causing a flat swing plane which was one of the many things causing my hook.

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
Take a sharpie (or some lipstick!) to the driving range and draw a splodge on the back of the ball, then hit it. The splodge will leave a mark on teh face of the club showing where you have hit it.
I tried this on the weeked and found I was hitting shots right next to the hosel, despite setting up with the ball in the of the club head. In summary - I am standing too close!

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Exactly the same as Tim, and the same as Hapless, but also opposite if you see what I mean.

If I stand too close to the ball with the Driver I tend to slice, as I'm probably coming over the top, whereas if I give myself plenty or room I can hit it a lot straighter.

Has helped me drivig no end in the last few rounds.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get a little close to the ball, especially with my driver.

It's not good. Not only will the ball come out the heel, your swing will adapt and lead to problems.

I must remember to shuffle back a few cm's..... :cool: :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
stand too far and I tend to flatten the swing for a hook

stand too close and I get a balloon shot

I've done the marking trick, lots of impacts in the area of the hosel or right on the top edge. for me the solution at the moment seems to be to tee the ball further forward and set up with the ball further toward the toe of the club.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
stand too far and I tend to flatten the swing for a hook

I hit a massive pull on one drive at Whittington Heath last week. I knew the moment I hit it what had caused it, and like above it was standing too far away from the ball and having to flatten my swing to get back on track.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
is there any set routine that you can use to make sure you are the correct distance from the ball at adress, especially for the clubs with longer shafts where it becomes easier to get it wrong.

Although I was told it's a waste of time by a pro last year, whenever I pick up a club, especially after a long layoff, I put the clubhead behind the ball, then loosely rest it against my left thigh ( I'm righthanded ) so the grip rests against my pocket.

Then if I take my proper grip and stance, I find I'm pretty much the right distance from the ball.

Obviously you can play about with this to find the best position for yourself, but I find it takes the guesswork out of my setup.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i went to the range last night and played about with different distances from the ball at tee up... i now know that if i address the ball and then drop the shaft of my club down that the end of the shaft sits directly in line with the inside centre of my right knee. Long and straight every time once i had figured that out.

:)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
...pro last year, whenever I pick up a club, especially after a long layoff, I put the clubhead behind the ball, then loosely rest it against my left thigh ( I'm righthanded ) so the grip rests against my pocket.

I used this technique solidly for months on end many years ago. I would stand with my feet together, rest the club on my left thigh to check, then move my feet apart to normal stance width. Never let me down badly i.i.r.c.

Yesterday, I remembered to shuffle back a few cm's with my driver, feeling like I was addressing the ball off the toe of my driver. After hitting the shots, I checked to see where the mark was.....pretty damn close to dead centre.

Managed to hit my first dead straight drive for ages as well.....265 yarder down a par 5. For me, that's a good hit.

Better than the 220 weak fade I normally accept on this hole.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I like to see a position where the arms hang down comfortably but not pointing straight down at the 6 o'clock position... more like 5 o'clock. This gives you space for the club to come through without jamming yourself in too tight.
If your hands are straight down (too close to your body) then there is nowhere for the swing to go and there is a tendancy to hit off the heel and/or shank if you try to come from the inside. It'll probably make you throw the club from the top (out-to-in) just to create some space...not good.

Hope this helps...

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your hands are straight down (too close to your body) then there is nowhere for the swing to go and there is a tendancy to hit off the heel and/or shank if you try to come from the inside. It'll probably make you throw the club from the top (out-to-in) just to create some space...not good.

I agree with this. Clearly the ball won't fly well if it's coming out of the toe area, but in general (for me) a tiny bit further away from the ball is safer and not to "plumb-bob" down with the arms.

Here's Tiger
pic_tiger_posture_lines2.jpg

There is always the same distance gap (it seems to me) between the end of his club and thigh-line. He even talks about it in his book, I think he uses the expression "measured off".

I see a lot of potentially good players either "plumb-bob" straight down (as you say, 6 0'clock) or pushed way out front....

Diamond

Visit site
I totally lost the plot this week and tried standing a little further away from the ball. Gained about 10 yards with my 9 iron but more importantly a cleaner shot. then Lined my hybrid up with toe end and again better contact. Finally driver I just positioned it more central and near the toe and it still sliced but I think I can work With it. Ran out of range balls and play in a comp today so wish me luck!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Take a sharpie (or some lipstick!) to the driving range and draw a splodge on the back of the ball, then hit it. The splodge will leave a mark on teh face of the club showing where you have hit it.
I tried this on the weeked and found I was hitting shots right next to the hosel, despite setting up with the ball in the of the club head. In summary - I am standing too close!
There could be multiple reasons for hitting the ball close to the hosel. Standing too close isn't usually the most common.