Stack and Tilt

Visit site
I've been hearing about this "method" for a while, and it seems to make a lot of sense ( tiger's new unofficial coach is a active supporter supposedly!) I was just wondering whether anyone has tried this method? i currently play off 6 and im tempted to try in in the off season to see if it's as good as everyone seems to be saying and to see if it can push me on to the next level!!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem with this method is finding someone to teach you.
There is no qualification to say I'm a S&T teacher so anyone could just pretend to know what to do.
There are one or two PGA pros who use it and as mentioned above, James will know who they are.
Not for me I'm afraid but good luck with it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Justone (James) uses stack and tilt.
It turned him gay

...says white trouser man!

http://www.golfhappy.co.uk is my own stack and tilt site. There's a PGA pro registered there (SamQuirke) who teaches it, he might be able to put you in touch with someone local to you.

( tiger's new unofficial coach is a active supporter supposedly!)

Sean Foley teaches all types of swings and incorporates some S&T principles where necessary. Staying over the ball, little/no weight shift etc etc.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For me, S&T has given me a draw (which I have never had), it has given me back the distance I thought I had lost over the last 5 years, a more solid strike, and more consistency.

If I had been a half decent ball striker to begin with, I might not have changed.

It is certaily a lot of effort to change, and you need to be sure ths is what you want. For me, reading Plummer and Bennetts book, it was like they had followed me round the course noting all my bad shots.

The biggest downside is that you either teach yourself, or, you have to find a coach. The nearest one to me is in Bedford, about an hour away, and god knows if he is any good.

D

Deleted member 3432

Jay Townsend was talking about it during 5 live coverage of the PGA the other night.

He reckons to stay well clear if you want to be able to drive the ball well. His opinion is it will work ok for hitting irons since the method means you are 'trapping' the ball with the strike but this will not work at all with the driver as you need to sweep the ball away.

He mentioned Mike Weir and Aaron Baddely as examples of pros who messed up their game trying it.

Don't fully understand it myself, the games tough enough without learning a whole new method.

Quickest way to take your game to the next level is to work on the short game. A great wedge game and a hot putter is the best way to shoot low scores

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was at a rival mags club testing at the Belfry and the guy operating the Trackman gear was a teacher of S&T. He showed me the way to draw the ball but my coach showed me the pitfalls with the system. As was said earlier, it is one thing hitting the irons but the driver can be a real problem!

I do utilise some elements of S&T in that it dont move off the ball - I concentrate only on the middle of the left knee cap staying perfectly still and I have eradicated the sway that cost a lot of shots. As far as I am aware there arn't any Pro's doing S&T in it's entirity.

Chris

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did start to dabble with it after I played with HTL and James and for a time it was working. It needs more time invested on it to make sure I get the main components straight in my head but its something I'll revisit over the winter. Maybe James or Murph could start teaching!!!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Jay Townsend was talking about it during 5 live coverage of the PGA the other night.

He reckons to stay well clear if you want to be able to drive the ball well. His opinion is it will work ok for hitting irons since the method means you are 'trapping' the ball with the strike but this will not work at all with the driver as you need to sweep the ball away.

He mentioned Mike Weir and Aaron Baddely as examples of pros who messed up their game trying it.

Yep, good post. I'll clear up a couple of loose ends. If you want to hit your irons then you can load up your left side, it's the same with driver - ONLY LESS. You don't want 75% of your weight left and a downward strike with your driver... 55% is enough, perhaps 51% but the rest remains basically the same. How many people do you know who consistently hit their driver perfectly? I know that I don't and I'm pretty good with Stack and Tilt - it's NOT a magic fix... well certainly not with the lack of practice that I put in :eek: but it's better than the rubbish that's been taught for the past 50 years. Even the ball flight laws have been rewritten which means that basically EVERYTHING has been wrong for 50 years, Faldo has been wrong, Justin Rose wrong, even Leadbetter wrong... and your local pro too. The game has moved forward helped by technology such as 1000frames/second video and things like Trackman, even Youtube has helped by bringing video to the masses.

Mike weir didn't mess up his game, he won more money than he ever had, so did Aaron Baddely, they just wanted to hit the ball LONGER, Mike Weir is a short ass and needs to take a run up, 285yds with the occasional 300+ isn't long enough for him.

My thoughts on stack and tilt are that it's the most reliable, consistent way to hit a ball - that said even I lean back on them occasionally if I'm trying to rip the living skin off the ball with my driver! It's not a game of perfects.

From your very own post Jay Townsend says:
it will work ok for hitting irons since the method means you are 'trapping' the ball with the strike

Probably 95% of amateur golfers don't trap the ball properly, they try and scoop it in the air and hit fat/thin shots all the time.

What more could a golfer want? Simples# :D :D