St Pierre resort and courses - any tips

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Myself and 2 mates are visiting here this weekend....nicely tied in with the Ryder Cup.

Playing the mathern on Saturday and Old Course on Sunday.

Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for a decent price.

Any thoughts/hints/tips on the courses. Hotel. Night time entertainment. etc ?

Fingers crossed its dry :thup:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I live in pretty close to there, but haven't played it to a little while.

The Mathern is very much a second course, has some really good holes and some rather poor ones. Treat it as a bit of a warm up, but it will sting you if you if you're not careful. The Old Course is a good test and heavily tree lined. Famous old 18th over the lake which also comes in to play on 10th and 15th. Course planner is worth buying! A few tricky and clever dog legs and changes in elevation, As I said.. lots if big oak trees abound! Decent course with some history which youll see in the clubhouse.

If its in good shape, the Old Course Greens are excellent.. been dry over here until today, so should be ok. Range balls are pricey so get a pre paid multi ticket if you can.. DONT pay full wack with coins!

Typical hotel really, drinks are expensive, and nightlife will depend on what is happening in the hotel (weddings/office parties etc)

Also depends on what sort of night out you want... lots of good country pubs within short hop, Chepstow is a small town with a some pubs and bars... Newport further away and more going on , full on night out in Cardiff is probably too far from there.

Indian Empire curry house on the A48 to Chepstow (half a mile up the hill) is really good if you want than hotel meal...)

D

Deleted member 15344

Played the old course yesterday as my brother got married there on Saturday

The accommodation was pretty good , we were in the Lakeside Village , food decent and drink prices not too bad

The course itself is ok , there was a heavy downpour overnight so there were a few puddles around , the course looked a bit tired to be honest , tees were a mess, we played late morning and you could see a lot of golf had been played on the course already and the greens were what you would expect from a society based course. Greens were ok - looking a bit tired as well. The 18th is a decent enough hole but overall it's not somewhere that has memorable holes tbh

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I liked the old course (possibly because I won the GM Centenary qualifier there) and I thought there were some good holes, a few that were bland but nothing that felt like it was giving you anything and that you had to work for a score. Given the traffic it had obviously had when we were down there (two societies ahead of us) it was in good nick. Very pricey in the bar but not unexpected given it's resort course

D

Deleted Member 1156

I played both courses years ago on a society weekend, I wouldn't rush back if I'm honest.

D

Deleted member 18121

Looks as though its going to rain on Saturday.....pretty much all the round. Does anyone know if they have somewhere to dry out clubs and gear or will it just be a case of spreading it around our room?

I remember doing that at Woburn....the room smelt like wet dog all night :thup:

D

Deleted member 18121

Apart from the weather on Saturday I've got to say I had a great weekend.

The "resort" itself is setup perfectly for a good golfing weekend. Driving range. 2 Courses. Good food. Good bar. Lovely comfortable rooms. Friendly people. Overall no complaints.

Mathern Course - the layout (ie getting from green to the next tee) is ridiculous. It's as though they randomly chose where to put the holes instead of making it flow. Apart from that I enjoyed it, tight, tree lined and some interesting holes. A really challenging short course. Shot an 83 for a +15.

Old Course - some lovely holes. lovely views. fast undulating greens. I can see why it has hosted the tournaments that it has. Shot at 86 for a +14.

Considering it was Ryder cup weekend we weren't held up at all, had no one up behind us, the whole 2 days just flowed.

If you're looking for a good golf weekend I'd have no hesitation in recommending.