St Andrews Questions

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
Me and some mates are planning to play the Old Course at St Andrews next Spring. Up to end of March its 64 quid, then for a few weeks its 90 then goes to 130. Their website says fairway mats are in use to end of March. Are they what I think, a bit of astroturf you have to take round? Is it better to pay the extra and not have to use them?
Also, the max handicap allowed is 24. Two of my mates are above this, does anyone check?

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're right in thinking that it's a bit of astroturf you have to carry round, and if I was playing the old lady, I think I would rather pay the extra and play from the hallowed turf.
As far as the handicap certificate goes, I know that a lot of clubs specify a minimum handicap but never check. (mine doesn't, but I'm sure they have a wee look at you on the 1st tee to make sure you're not going to hack it up and use the small print of the H/C cert to bin you if you are)but I believe The Old Course do check every one.
No doubt someone will come on and confirm/deny this.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The Old course check every Hcp Cert so you will need to have one.Regarding the astroturf it is indeed a foot long bit that you carry around with you but I will tell you that last 3 times I have played in the winter I used it very sparingly but mostly only on the 1st and 18th,a lad in the group had a caddie last year and he refused to let him use it and only gave him it when a ranger was on the prowl.....they are awful to use,have you ever tried hitting a 4 iron or 3 wood off it!!??If you are lucky to play it on a day when there aint much ranger prowling going on then great otherwise pay more money and play without them.
Mind they are great for using a wedge off.....dont half get some sook!!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is all new to me, when I played there no one checked my h/c but as with all things you get changes. I turned up, paid my money, joined up with some other folk and played. The only thing I did notice were stewards on the course monitoring play and behavior and if necessary telling people to get a move on lol. Its status used to be municipal, no doubt thats changed too. I do think some clubs go ott sometimes though, including St Andrews if what you fellas say is true.Playing off a bl***y mat all day is daft, if the course is that fragile for 60 to 90 quid a pop, then stuff it. I wonder how the poor little fairways do with the weather from the north sea lmao.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slaighty,

My advice would be to wait until the "shoulder period" in the fist two weeks in April when it's not full fee but you're off the turf not mats. Yes, you'll probably need handicap certificates or you risk not getting on. I was asked for mine by the starter. My playing partner was over from Canada so got away with not having one, though, as he played off 7.

If you do have to play off mats...use them. They play 40,000 rounds a year around the Old Course and that's only 6 days a week. They can't play Sunday. Imagaine how many divots per fourball. So show a little respect and abide by the rules designed to protect the course. Better that than the embarrasment of getting "turfed off " the course by a ranger. I had to do that at Carnoustie the first time I played it and it doesn't spoil your enjoyment.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
JF sorry but the mats DO spoil the fun,there is a huge difference between playing the place off mats and off turf.....best tip is to drive poorly and ensure you dont hit a fairway so never need to use the mats although missing the fairways is rather difficult at the Old Course even if you are hitting it all over the place!! :)

TommyMorris

Medal Winner
Visit site
Playing off a mat is far more enjoyable than playing out of a divot..... This policy was put in place to protect the Old lady from winter golf damage where divots can remain visible for upto 1 year. This is due the naturally slow growing environment that links courses experience. The Old course suffers particularly badly because of the ball collecting hollows present in the fairways that can have extreme divot scarring.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
When the pros have to play off mats I will! That course earns enough money to employ someone to re-turf it every year and iron it every day and regardless of how much play it gets it has managed for a very long time to my memory without it.

The problem is one of greed and poor course management while retaining the best play conditions for the willing spenders and the big names. Ordinary people make St Andrews as much if not more than the elite.

If the course is having a hard time of it then close it to recover or use drop zones for shots rather than bloody mats. If you play off mats you are not actually playing the course and St Andrews should be greatful of 6 quid a round under those conditions not 60 quid upwards.

There are a number of courses in scotland who have large memberships and all year use that dont need mats to look after the course.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's better playing the Old Course off mats at a discounted rate than not playing it at all. That's the whole idea, herb.

The fees it generates help with the upkeep of the other Links Trust courses, I'm sure. Have to agree with Tommy Morris, who sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

If the rule is to play off mats then that's how you should play it. It's a simple matter of respect for others and the course. Grass simply doesn't recover so well in the winter and I'm pretty certain no other course in Scotland sees so many rounds in a year. Let the greenkeepers decide what's best. We're not qualified.