St Andrews Golf Clubs

Meeksy1

Visit site
Hi. I’m currently on the waiting list at St Andrews Links and will get membership in either 2022 or 2023. I will apply for membership at either St Andrews Golf Club or New Golf Club St Andrews. Which club should I apply to? Any members\locals have any views on this? Thank you.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sent a PM but for anyone else interested. It’s a personal preference really, both good clubs with an intertwined and related history. St Andrews GC has the better location overlooking the 18th Green but the New GC has some better facilities. They both have great history, facilities and memberships, lots of people are members of both to increase access to competitions etc. It is said that St Andrews GC tends to attract the better players but it’s a heated debate whether true in modern times. Likely just a matter of seeing which club is taking members at the right point in time as they are both popular.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would it be rude to ask the cost of a links ticket and the annual cost to join the clubs mentioned?

Also, are you entitled to join a club at the same time that you get your links ticket?

D

Deleted member 17920

Would it be rude to ask the cost of a links ticket and the annual cost to join the clubs mentioned?

Also, are you entitled to join a club at the same time that you get your links ticket?
Links ticket prices are all on the St Andrews website. It’s not secret information

The club prices are on each clubs website as well.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It’s not a straightforward answer as prices vary depending on ticket type (number of days and number of courses you want to play) and where you’re resident. A full (all courses) 7 day links ticket ranges from £250 to £1000 based on resident location.

You’re not entitled to be a club member to have a links ticket but being a local club member provides discounts on ticket price. Those discounts are slightly greater than local club membership fees so there’s a symbiotic benefit in being a club member.

My ticket and club renewals combined for 2021 will be around £750 for a full ticket of 7 courses, 7 days a week.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It’s not a straightforward answer as prices vary depending on ticket type (number of days and number of courses you want to play) and where you’re resident. A full (all courses) 7 day links ticket ranges from £250 to £1000 based on resident location.

You’re not entitled to be a club member to have a links ticket but being a local club member provides discounts on ticket price. Those discounts are slightly greater than local club membership fees so there’s a symbiotic benefit in being a club member.

My ticket and club renewals combined for 2021 will be around £750 for a full ticket of 7 courses, 7 days a week.

Thanks for the detailed reply and what an absolute bargain.

Dannyc

Visit site

Wow
I pay more than that for my small boring parkland course in the middle of sunny stoke on Trent

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s amazingly good value. However I played so little in 2021 that it still equates to over £100 a round. Value is what you make of it but I’ve no intention of giving it up!

I made a mistake in my post, I should have said discounts on ticket prices can be greater than club memberships as again it depends on the combination of ticket types.

Anecdotal chatter suggests there are too many ticket options and more tickets could be freed by consolidating some types but I don’t know the actual distribution of them to really say. The local clubs maintain they could easily accommodate more playing members if tickets were available but the Links Trust suggest otherwise. The number of members playing on a temporary ticket (another combination!) suggests to me that the clubs are correct in their analysis.

A quirk of clubs in St Andrews is we have very high membership numbers but the proportion of regular competition players to members is very low. A side effect of us having a lot of distant and overseas members. Even so, you have to be quick to get a competition tee time and the big meets are very popular that are balloted entry.

Yes it’s all great value but don’t ever expect to get a regular Saturday tee time - they don’t exist.