SSID split

NearHull

Visit site
39 members have looked at this post and I guess 39 may have heard of SSID, but have absolutely no idea whether you could/should/or even want to split it.

No ………..make that 40.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, make that 39 again.

I'll say no, why bother (unless you have a particular piece of kit that needs to run on a particular frequency)

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
39 members have looked at this post and I guess 39 may have heard of SSID, but have absolutely no idea whether you could/should/or even want to split it.

No ………..make that 40.
I googled it but still have no idea. I am sure the answer will be fascinating ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our router puts out two signals rather than splitting the bands

We have a main WiFi and a guest WiFi. The guest WiFi is a hang up from the old router that I put all ring cameras on so when changed router I set it up again

Splitting the ssid Into 2.4 and 5 seems a bit pointless these days for most households. Best to just leave combined and let the router decide what signal to give the device

Springveldt

Visit site
Should I split the SSIDs on the new router ?
Seems to be working ok, but have always done this before.
I always do so I control which devices go on 2.4ghz and which devices go on 5ghz. I'm a bit of a control freak though.

I usually turn on the guest network as well and have anyone who visits connect to that.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are you hoping to gain from doing or not doing it?
Good question.
Having thought about it now I'm on a.500 mbps, I guess it's not so important.
When my internet was in the 20's supplying the ssids made more sense as you were seeking the strongest signal.

All seems to be running ok without doing anything

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good question.
Having thought about it now I'm on a.500 mbps, I guess it's not so important.
When my internet was in the 20's supplying the ssids made more sense as you were seeking the strongest signal.

All seems to be running ok without doing anything
If it ain’t broke. I do remember when the early dual band routers came out having separate SSIDs as some devices refused to connect when they were shared. Not needed to do it for a long time though.