SS question

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our course has a SSS of 69, a proposal at the club is to change a par 3 from 190 yards to 140 yards would this affect the SSS of the course?

I seemed to remember that if you changed a hole by less than 100 yards in winter it could still be a qualifier and not affect the SSS score but not sure if this would apply if done permanently.

DCB

Visit site
It'll still be a par3, but I'd have thought a change like that might need the course re-rated by the local union.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Probably going to make no difference, but it depends where in its current rating the analysis places it!

SSS starts using the overall distance, with a change for every 250 yards. Then there's an analysis of other features - of which length/difficulty of Par 3s is one of them. So the 50 yard reduction, turning a hard hole into a fairly simple one - if that's the only change - could flip the SSS down.

Checking CSS against historic values would be a good guide!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Probably going to make no difference, but it depends where in its current rating the analysis places it!

SSS starts using the overall distance, with a change for every 250 yards. Then there's an analysis of other features - of which length/difficulty of Par 3s is one of them. So the 50 yard reduction, turning a hard hole into a fairly simple one - if that's the only change - could flip the SSS down.

Checking CSS against historic values would be a good guide!

Ok thanks for that

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Basically you should just refer the change to the rating authority and they will confirm the new SSS, which is very likely to be the same as the old SSS!
As foxy suggests (I think) the only time it's going to change is if the previous rating was marginal between 68 and 69, in which case the small change could tip it over.