Squaring the Clubface - Long Clubs Only

Sundance

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am having trouble with squaring the clubface at impact however this only really happens when using my 3 hybrid, 3 wood or driver (when I decide to actually put it in the bag). The majority of the time I have no problems hitting my irons so I want to know why I can't do the same with the longer clubs and if anyone has any drills that can help me square them up.

When I'm practicing at the range the swing with the longer clubs never quite feels 'right' and some times feel like I am pulling the butt of the club across my chest towards the target at the point it should really be pointing towards my belt buckle. I almost feel out of sync and that I don't know whether my arms should be starting the movement or my hips/legs.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer my old mucker. Get to Rhys at Downshire and have a lesson. I think watching your regularly you are coming over the top on the long clubs - hence going right. On the irons there is a much better tempo and swing and you are nailing them. I wonder how much you are trying too hard but get a lesson and get it sorted early doors

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The longer the club gets the further from the ball you should stand... there's a simple chance that you might just be too close and then swinging down steeper than you should be (in an attempt) to keep the club coming from the inside. Give yourself some space to swing.

Sundance

Medal Winner
Visit site
I will certainly give standing a little further away from the ball a go, thanks. I know some of it is going to be mental and an ingrained fear of going right which only makes it worse. I'll try the tip at the range and update the thread.

Homer - I still have a couple of lessons to take with my current pro. A slice was something that we have tried to work on just with not as much success as I'd hoped. The swing path is better, not perfect, but better and the final piece seems to be the clubface. I'll bring this up with him and see what he can suggest.