Square Headed driver?

redmike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whats the general consensus on these? Do they realy make your shots go straighter or are they a bit of a marketing gimmick?

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn't like the look of the one I was interested in trying, so never hit it. You get a general feel if you are going to like something or not, if its not pleasing to the eye I will generally give it a miss.

Not for me but I'm sure there are many who will disagree.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Straight is the new long!!

I have given up yards to play from the fairway and my scores are way better.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yea they are more forgiving than some - but if you cut across the ball you will always get a slice.

I had a Wilson Spine and shots from the heel went 200yards straight no problem as it was so forgiving. IE it does not matter where the impact zone is.

I personally feel they are great for people like me who tend not to be hitting the centre of the club a lot, they are very forgiving. If you have a decent driver spend the £200 on lessons or maby £100 on each.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tried the Callaway when it first came out in huge expectation but when I hit the ball I was disappointed. It didn't look good to MY eye behind the ball and wasn't actually as long as I had hoped. Never tried another make or model after that.

I have to say I'm getting better results with my draw bias Cleveland. The ball striking is good and the club is pretty forgiving on off centre hits and getting a low running flight is helping me with extra distance

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i've been toying with the idea of getting the callaway my pro said i may benefit from it and she only sells srixon(it's a small shop),havent actually hit one outside though only on the net in AG i didn't mind the look of it at adress but will reserve judgement till i've been to a range with a shop.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried the FT-i Callaway as I was fed up with the noise I got from my Cobra . . . BIG MISTAKE. It was worse than the Cobra and almost as bad as the Old Nike. I have heard some amazing things about the SkyMax Pulse @ £89 and Marko77 from the Forum has the Hippo Hex and he bombs it.

davethepro

Hacker
Visit site
Im a callaway tour player and i can tell you YES. the weights are further away distance wise at the club at this increases hitting area or sweet spot and makes it twice as big, you can actually see the ball fighting to go straight, obviously if you have a bad swing it wont go straight but see your local pro and he will fix you...hopefully

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was acyually using the FT-I (see pic in my sig) and for a while it was straight, But then i devolped my slice again and it wouldnt tame it. The slice wasn't as bad but still there.

To be fair like any club you have to have a good swing to begin with, the only advantage you get from square drivers is it makes your awful shots look bad at best.

I had some lessons, changed my grip and swing and then couldnt use the FT-I. Went and got fitted and ended up with the FT-5 now my driving is pretty good and i dont really slice, i pull if anything.

It was also as loud as an sa80, shame callaway dont do ear defenders!

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a Callaway ft-i, quite simply the best golf investment I have made.
My fairway accuracy is the equivalent of a scratch golfer (stats by scoresaver 2).
I am driving the ball further than I have ever done too!

D

Deleted member 1147

I suppose that the look could put you off - but straight is paramount in driving.

Since I've been fitted with the right shaft and loft, on a club I like I hit them mostly straight so you don't have to go for a square head.

But, according to my engineer father, they should allow straight hitting more consistantly.

So try one if straight is what you need - irrespective of other peoples opinions!