Spin on approach shots to greens

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It sounds like you need to hit down, and through the ball a bit more. Try moving it back in your stance, and also putting your hands ahead of the ball at address.

You will either spin it, or shank it. No pain, no gain.

Steviebhoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thats what I dont want to end up doing is shanking the shot and it ending up miles away from where I want it!!

Will try all the tip and see how I get on before I try it on the course

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're all right about hitting down, it's just that I'm surprised that anyone who hits a normal PW 120yds with a 'decent' ball is not getting it to sit down quickly.

Only one guy that I've seen do it at our club and we call him 'drop kick Charlie', he has the unique ability to get a full wedge to release up to a back flag.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You're all right about hitting down, it's just that I'm surprised that anyone who hits a normal PW 120yds with a 'decent' ball is not getting it to sit down quickly.
It's the quality of the strike not distance, you could thin a wedge 120yds and that baby ain't stoppin' :)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you read what the OP is posting then the shots all have good height. You can only go on the info given. :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Play a wedge in the middle of your stance and it will go as high as you want it with very little spin (as per the OP)

Generally the shots that spin the most go in a bit lower as they are played from slightly further back, with a downward impact.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't agree with that. If the wedge is flat out 120yds with good flight, decent strike with cleanish clubface then it must be spinning enough not to be rolling out up the green.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Play a wedge in the middle of your stance and it will go as high as you want it with very little spin (as per the OP)

Generally the shots that spin the most go in a bit lower as they are played from slightly further back, with a downward impact.

'Someone' told me that if you play the ball from the middle of your stance but have your hands further forward, you will hit said descending blow, and thus create backspin.

With a high flying PW you shouldn't need to be Phil Mick to stop the damn thing reasonably quickly, surely?

It's not like a check chip we're talking about here, is it. Just a 'normal' shot with the correct iron for the job. So surely the 'correct' swing ( ie a descending blow ) will do nicely ?

:D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How does a golfer get the ball to stop on a green?
He/she needs to spin the ball
The faster it spins, the higher it goes
The more speed you have the more it spins.
If you play it back in your stance, yes, it will start low as you have delofted the club but will still spin if hit hard.
Speed=spin=stop
assuming as robo say a clean strike, clean grooves, a quality ball and receptive greens.

If you watch the tour players trying to take spin off, they put it back in their stance and hit it softly.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you watch the tour players trying to take spin off, they put it back in their stance and hit it softly.

I agree, deloft the wedge, don't hit downwards too hard, then you can probably make it check, land soft or release somewhat depending on the strike angle.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
'Someone' told me that if you play the ball from the middle of your stance but have your hands further forward, you will hit said descending blow, and thus create backspin.

Provided the grip of the club passes the ball before the clubhead it will be a downward strike, you shouldn't FAT it and it should look like a proper golf shot :)

Rolling the ball back a couple of inches gives you the opportunity to stike downwards even steeper, should you choose to do so, it also (more or less) guarantees that your grip will be ahead of the ball. It's also easier to shank :)

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The other option to avoid changes to your swing is just to play to the front of the green every time and allow the ball to release.

Whilst it is nice get a ball to pull up, if you have to change a successful swing to do so, I would think long and hard about whether to do so. It might just be the greens at your club are not very receptive.

Visit site
Have you tried sharpening the grooves of your clubs?
I've just bought a Groovefix sharpener of ebay and the results are amazing.

Steviebhoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi guys

Was up the course today and tried some of the advice giving and starting to get results

Tried having the ball more towards the back of my stance which is what I should have been doing to get the shots I have been wanting. Where as I was going wrong before with always playing the clean strike from middle with height which was letting it run more than I liked.

Don’t get me wrong I thinned a good few but more or less getting the ball dropping dead where I want it or stopping within a foot of it landing with back spin which is perfect!

Now around the green I'm starting to use the spin as well instead of the old bump and run I used to do to the flag which was not always working!

Thanks for the help guy and this should stand me in good stead for the season if I can keep it going the way its went so far

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you were hitting it at the bottom of your swing, and not before the swing bottoms out. You would get the flight, and the distance, but unless you compress the ball between the ground and the club head, you don't get the spin.