speed at impact

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
prob a stupid question, pros who have given me lessons say im very week at impact, now is the swing speed all about the 12" before impact or does it start from the top, all these lessons Ive had and haven't got time for now got me swinging like a octopus falling out of a tree,

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
The speed comes from the hand release though the ball. Don't swing hard from the top. Start down slow and accelerate though the ball. All sorts of troubles trying to hit from the top don't do it.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
turn a club upside down so your holding the metal just above the clubhead so it's the handle your going to be swinging.
then just make a nice easy backswing & turn (no sway) as connected as you can going back when your left arm is horizontal to the ground set your left thumb upwards so the thumb & shaft more point to the sky then just continue the turn to the top. stop the turn & the arms & club when you think you hands are at shoulder height.

to start downswing feel you leave the handle at the top as you first feel you press some weight downwards into your left foot. then start the swing down easy don't snatch from the top.
just turn your upper body back down & swing your arms past your chin against a firm left leg, make the handle end of the club make most noise right at & just past where impact would be.

if you hear the loudest noise halfways down or before you get to impact, your snatching from the top & losing the angles that you set on the ways back.

start downswing from the ground up, swing the handle past your chin & you'll make the loudest noise at or just past impact.

then just turn the club back the rightways up & try to have the same feeling through the ball, that ways you get the most speed through impact & not be losing speed before you get to impact.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The speed comes from the hand release though the ball. Don't swing hard from the top. Start down slow and accelerate though the ball. All sorts of troubles trying to hit from the top don't do it.

The hand release, as I see it, isn't a conscious move. As the rotation of the shoulders reverses the arms are dragged down and at the point of impact are actually slowing down ( this has been proved by time lapse photography). As the arms lose energy, the energy has to go somewhere and it feeds into the rotation of the shaft, accelerating the clubhead.

Have a look at a scientist's view of it, he explains it better than me. http://www.tutelman.com. He says that any effort to move the hands at impact is likely to slow down the clubhead. He gives the example of a trebuchet, which can hurl rocks vast distances and is like an upside down golf swing. This has worked for me, I'm left handed, playing right handed & my weaker right hand doesn't stop me from hitting it a reasonable distance for my age.

Someone said that to play golf well just do the complete opposite of what feels natural.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
The hand release, as I see it, isn't a conscious move. As the rotation of the shoulders reverses the arms are dragged down and at the point of impact are actually slowing down ( this has been proved by time lapse photography). As the arms lose energy, the energy has to go somewhere and it feeds into the rotation of the shaft, accelerating the clubhead.

Have a look at a scientist's view of it, he explains it better than me. http://www.tutelman.com. He says that any effort to move the hands at impact is likely to slow down the clubhead. He gives the example of a trebuchet, which can hurl rocks vast distances and is like an upside down golf swing. This has worked for me, I'm left handed, playing right handed & my weaker right hand doesn't stop me from hitting it a reasonable distance for my age.

Someone said that to play golf well just do the complete opposite of what feels natural.

Don't know about that. I can keep control of my hand realise. Slow it down or speed it up at will.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't know about that. I can keep control of my hand realise. Slow it down or speed it up at will.

Do you? Or is it "feel versus real"? Or is it that all you can do is reduce the clubhead speed and not maximise it by manipulating the hands. I don't know but apparently Mr. Tutelman's & others' research has shown, via mathematical calculation that I can't understand, that the clubhead speed can only be increased by a maximum of 3%, but only if it is timed perfectly, which is almost impossible to do.

His trebuchet illustration is interesting. He says that all the " clubhead" speed is attributable to the centrifugal force. Because the string at the end (equivalent to the shaft) is totally flexible there is no "right hand" force exerted on the string/"shaft"

Advocates of a "late release" obviously know this and it means that wrist uncocking is an involuntary action caused by the force applied by the shoulders & arms rotating around the spine.

Unfortunately, my A level Physics isn't up to a full understanding of the principles but I think the subject is fascinating. My friends think I'm deranged!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
centripetal - the forces of the rotational body motion on the club, during the swing this exerts force so the natural/involuntary hand release (assuming it's all been set correctly going back to the top) transfer speed to the clubhead through impact. any attempt to manipulate the hands slows that process down a ways so the player wouldn't get optimum speed for the motion made.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you? Or is it "feel versus real"? Or is it that all you can do is reduce the clubhead speed and not maximise it by manipulating the hands. I don't know but apparently Mr. Tutelman's & others' research has shown, via mathematical calculation that I can't understand, that the clubhead speed can only be increased by a maximum of 3%, but only if it is timed perfectly, which is almost impossible to do.

His trebuchet illustration is interesting. He says that all the " clubhead" speed is attributable to the centrifugal force. Because the string at the end (equivalent to the shaft) is totally flexible there is no "right hand" force exerted on the string/"shaft"

Advocates of a "late release" obviously know this and it means that wrist uncocking is an involuntary action caused by the force applied by the shoulders & arms rotating around the spine.

Unfortunately, my A level Physics isn't up to a full understanding of the principles but I think the subject is fascinating. My friends think I'm deranged!

In all honesty dont have a clue on the maths or science of it all. Being an artistic type of person rather than a maths type. I do play mainly on feel and instinct.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
In all honesty dont have a clue on the maths or science of it all. Being an artistic type of person rather than a maths type. I do play mainly on feel and instinct.

I'm the opposite, I did A level physics about 100 years ago and understand a little ​bit about the mechanics of the golf swing. It always puzzled me that, when I was in thick rough & I tried to give the ball a bigger whack with the hands it went nowhere. Of course, I now reaslise I was actually slowing the clubhead down. I have a mate who is 6' 3" tall with hands like bunches of bananas. He really belts it with theright hand very hsrd but doesn't hit it anything like as far as he should. His method gives him a huge hook and lots of run but you want to see him playing in a strong right to left wind, it's hilarious watching him some 45° right.