Spain or Portugal...where is the best golf?

Where would you prefer to play golf?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never played in Spain, but Portugal blew me away! Stunning. Can't wait to go back in may, 4 days of unlimited golf!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why Turkey...costs, food, courses?

All of those.
I felt the courses were better, the food was great and the welcome we received was first class.
For years, the Algarve has been the number one destination for golf, but I personally think that they had got complacent and began to take the business for granted.
Turkey, being that much newer on the scene, have learnt from mistakes made elsewhere.
We stayed at the hotel Voyage on an all inclusive basis, were treated like royalty and ate like kings. Oh, and we drank quite a bit too!!

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All of those.
I felt the courses were better, the food was great and the welcome we received was first class.
For years, the Algarve has been the number one destination for golf, but I personally think that they had got complacent and began to take the business for granted.
Turkey, being that much newer on the scene, have learnt from mistakes made elsewhere.
We stayed at the hotel Voyage on an all inclusive basis, were treated like royalty and ate like kings. Oh, and we drank quite a bit too!!

Might have to give it a whirl one day....

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Need to ask a more specific question - average golf better, top end golf better?

Hard to imagine Turkey has better courses than Valderrama or Monte Rei. Spain also has a load of courses around the inland cities and up the coast to Barcelona. Portugal has some around Lisbon.

For my money, the top end courses in both countries are excellent but there is some mediocre to forgettable golf too. If you can afford Valderrama, Sotogrande, Montecastillo etc on the Costa, and San Lorenzo, Monte Rei, Quinta and some of the Vilamoura courses in Portugal you will have some very good golf. In the Lisbon area, Troia, Areoira, Penha Longa and up the coast a bit, Praia del Rey are very good.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The different areas of Spain and Portugal are wide and varied. I have only played Costa del Sol and Algarve areas of the two respective countries and based on my personal preference have gone for Spain. There are undoubtedly some great golfing experiences to be had in other areas of the two countries but unfortunately I have not sampled them.

Steve H

Hacker
Visit site
I live in Spain (Costa Blanca Region) and where I am, we have over 30 courses within an hours drive and all at different prices....varying from 35€ to 90+€. The benefit of Spain is the local help in booking courses, transport etc is all in English.

Played in Portugal last year and yes, the courses were 'nice' - well, one of them..the others weren't so sparkling and the hotel we stayed at was DREADFUL.

Turkey, 3 years ago...BRILLIANT...both the golf and the hotel.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I live in Spain (Costa Blanca Region) and where I am, we have over 30 courses within an hours drive and all at different prices....varying from 35€ to 90+€. The benefit of Spain is the local help in booking courses, transport etc is all in English.

Played in Portugal last year and yes, the courses were 'nice' - well, one of them..the others weren't so sparkling and the hotel we stayed at was DREADFUL.

Turkey, 3 years ago...BRILLIANT...both the golf and the hotel.

how long have you been in that area...headed down there in the summer so maybe we can fix up a game or two?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hard to imagine Turkey has better courses than Valderrama or Monte Rei.

I doubt it does Ethan. But you are naming two of the best courses throughout the whole of Europe. I was just comparing your average "vacation courses" like Vale do Lobo, Quinta do Lago, PGA Catalunya (and similar).
If I were to book another European golfing holiday I wouldn't even consider Spain or The Algarve (can't talk about mainland Portugal as I've never played there) I'd be Turkey bound.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doubt it does Ethan. But you are naming two of the best courses throughout the whole of Europe. I was just comparing your average "vacation courses" like Vale do Lobo, Quinta do Lago, PGA Catalunya (and similar).
If I were to book another European golfing holiday I wouldn't even consider Spain or The Algarve (can't talk about mainland Portugal as I've never played there) I'd be Turkey bound.

OK, fair comment, but the OP asked where is the best golf, and my response also said he needed to ask a more specific question, meaning really the best, or best choice for an average holiday. There is a lot of mediocre golf in Spain and Portugal too and a few courses that are memorably bad.