South Ayrshire is next!

D

Deleted member 21258

Out of interest, is there a lot of newer clubs in that area (built say since the 80s, like what happened down here) or just that the golf clubs are costing more to run/maintain with less golfers ?

D

Deleted member 23270

I don't see how the council's numbers add up. £9m savings by closing 5 courses?? Are they hand cutting the greens every day with scissors?? Add in the revenue that the courses generate and there is no way they are running at a £9m deficit. Unless those savings include other facilities as well?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We all know councils can spunk money away in a heartbeat and spend way beyond their means when the agenda suits them.

It's a pie in the sky figure to justify the announcement to close yet more leisure facilities.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Backwards thinking.

Dalmilling is an awful wee course but there maybe a loyal membership there. I doubt they could afford to buy the place if the land is suitable for housing.

As for Belleisle, it’s prime real estate but would be a bit of a loss.

Undoubtedly Troon Munis will not reap the rewards through extra investment. The courses will be even more mobbed than ever. With a big chunk of money spent on them, they’d be outstanding courses. Alas, the council really don’t care about them.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Backwards thinking.

Dalmilling is an awful wee course but there maybe a loyal membership there. I doubt they could afford to buy the place if the land is suitable for housing.

As for Belleisle, it’s prime real estate but would be a bit of a loss.

Undoubtedly Troon Munis will not reap the rewards through extra investment. The courses will be even more mobbed than ever. With a big chunk of money spent on them, they’d be outstanding courses. Alas, the council really don’t care about them.

Council haven't cared for years. Despite being a "links man" I prefer Belleisle to any of the Troon courses. I think it's a better layout and design. If any could be bought out and made into a success I would suggest Belleisle is the one.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its not just golf courses...Northfield bowling club, Coylton, Dundonald, Whitletts, Muirhead and Mossblown community centres, Troon and Prestwick swimming pool, cleaning hours in schools and a reduction of the school week to 22.5hours...

Wait and see what is agreed in March.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's a real shame. I've already said it in another thread but I believe your needs these to survive. Not everybody wants to join a members club and some still believe them to be stuffy which we know isn't the case at most courses these days. But municipals aware where people to when they want to take up the game. Those options are diminishing Fast.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Usual council tactic of giving a worse case scenario then when they make the actual decision it does not seem so bad.
I would imagine Dalmilling and Maybole are identified for closure. Both are seriously underplayed so no surprise. Both good building sites, especially with the Maybole bypass set to open next year.

I also hear that the council are considering altering the structure of the way clubs use the courses.
20+ years ago there were 39 golf clubs attached to the courses, absolute mucking fuddle. Structure not changed since the days of stymies:eek:. Clubs and Council constantly at loggerheads with each other.
Too many golf courses not enough golfers, as Hank says sign of the times.

Two swimming pools at Troon and Prestwick set to close, two years after opening a new one at Girvan strange decision that.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see how the council's numbers add up. £9m savings by closing 5 courses?? Are they hand cutting the greens every day with scissors?? Add in the revenue that the courses generate and there is no way they are running at a £9m deficit. Unless those savings include other facilities as well?

I read it as the budget deficit for the entire council’s operations, not just golf.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Read the article again. It doesn't say they'll save £9million by closing the courses. It say the Council has an overall budget shortfall of £9million. So they are looking at across the board savings - of which the courses will only be a small part. And while we're at it, it is unlikely the £9million shortfall is cause by "spunking money away". It will almost certainly be because their central rate support grant has been cut. Again.

Sadly sports provision is a non compulsory aspect of local government services. So they are an easy target as regards savings.Especially if the user-numbers aren't that high. Having said that, having played Belleisle a time or two, I always had the impression it was fairly popular and well used?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its not just golf courses...Northfield bowling club, Coylton, Dundonald, Whitletts, Muirhead and Mossblown community centres, Troon and Prestwick swimming pool, cleaning hours in schools and a reduction of the school week to 22.5hours...

Wait and see what is agreed in March.

I bet southern Tory councils arent having to make as many cuts as these.(y)

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
It’s the snp who set local budgets so unsure what it has to do with southern torries.
Politics aside the reason These courses are perhaps going to be closed as there are too many courses for numbers playing.
Private clubs no longer have long waiting lists that people played council courses whilst waiting so there’s less demand.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The council would be doing belleisle a favour if they sold it as long as it stayed a golf course because with the right resources it would be a cracking place to play. it really is a very good layout and still well used and loved by many. I feel this is to soften the blow of losing dalmilling and maybole which there has been talk of closure for years but some resistance