Soundbar or AV amp and speakers?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I replaced my TV a couple months ago but as like most modern flat panels the sound is not good at all.

I'm looking to buy either a decent soundbar or perhaps a AV amp with a speaker set. I quite like the idea of a full blown 5.1 set up but the missus might not agree with cables and speaker boxes dotted around. The soundbars seem a great , clutter free option and they are improving all the time. Especially interested in the Phillips Fidelio HTL9100 which seems to be the best of both worlds with wireless detachable surround sound speakers (and wireless sub) - not just virtual 5.1 but proper 5.1 This setup seems to tick a lot of boxes but will probably wait for the price to drop if I go that route.

Any thoughts? What have you gone for?

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Definitely a 5.1 setup. Soundbars are great compared flat panel built-in audio but can't compete with a dedicated surround system. I have an LG blu-ray player 5.1. Only cost around £200 and sound fantastic, so much so that I have done away with my dedicated stereo system and now just use the LG. The fact that a wireless systems need batteries (or a wired ac supply)to power the speakers has always put me off.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surround sound set up wins hands down if you have the room. However we were struggling for space and had to go down the soundbar route. Went for a Yamaha in the end and it does not sound bad at all. With audio though you really do get what you pay for, what you looking at spending

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Considered a Q Acoustics Q-TV2? Basically a 2.1 surround sound system, bolts onto the back of the TV, large sub-woofer hidden by the TV, two tall narrow speakers run vertically at either edge of the Tv. Obviously not full 5.1, but little extra wiring to annoy the wife, and a considerable improvement on the flat panel's sound.

http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-tv-speakers-soundbar.htm

No affiliation other than being a fully paid up satisfied customer.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Soundbars are good if you don't have the budget/space for a full 5.1 set-up, but nowhere near as good as a "proper" set-up.
Also not a fan of integrated systems (DVD/Blu-Ray in the "amp").

Currently running an Onkyo HDMI Amp set up with 3D ARC through a Gale Audio 5.1 system. The clarity is superb and the kevlar cones on the 4040 Floor-standers reduce polarisation on the mid/high references.

If you have both space and budget then Onkyo is well worth a look for amps and anything from Kef upward for speakers. You won't regret it :thup:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Kef are great speakers but there are loads of great brands if you are going into that price bracket. B&W are another along with Tannoy. The best ones I have ever heard though were by Linn which were amazing. I bought my audio system not that long ago actually and it was a Bang & Olufsen which I got at a good price as it was ex demo stuff that the shop wanted to clear. So if your looking at higher end stuff then shop around always deals to be had. Also always go and listen to what you are interested in buying first as what sounds great to someone might not to you

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.

Our lounge is around 15ft x 14ft so I don't need anything too heavy duty and if I go the seperates route the speakers would need to be small and discrete.

I've only started looking in earnest last few days really and I headed straight to What Hifi website to see whats new and what got good reviews. Budget started at £500 tops but then you start noticing product you like slighter higher priced (as you do) and the budget goes creeps up.

2 on a shortlist so far is the new Phillips Fidelio soundbar at about £600 and Denon AVRX2000 and Tannoy HTS-101 £729 :eek:

I looked at the Sonos playbar, very nice but too expensive by the time you've added a sub. I might take a closer look at Yamaha soundbars (above), interesting that it integrates a bit with the Panasonic TV's which is what I have (P42GT60).

I would go for the loudest system I could afford but I've got to think about the space and clutter so need to compromise.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
After trawling some forums Onkyo came up a few times as nice amps, I think the TXNR626 is a possibility it has Bluray and WiFi built in as well. So many things to think about!

I think Kef will be too pricey, now if I was single and had a nice bachelor pad....:mmm:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I run it all through my Bang&Olufsen system, sound is outstanding for movies or Music vids. It does mean cable clutter though and I'll be changing for the B&O Wireless system or just a sound bar.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
After trawling some forums Onkyo came up a few times as nice amps, I think the TXNR626 is a possibility it has Bluray and WiFi built in as well. So many things to think about!

Have you had a scoot over to AV Forums?
They really know their stuff over there, I'd definitely be listening to what they have to say before I make a purchase.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
AV Forums is good, and What HiFi is also good.

I think these things end up being rather simple. If you have a limited budget and HID does not want satellite speakers and wires, then a decent sound bar will still provide a considerable upgrade in sound.

Another option is a 3.1 system, some of which are pretty decent and good value.

A full 5.1 (or more) system will sound great for movies, but you do need to get decent components. I have a Yamaha AV Receiver, through which I have a Sky HD Box, Blu Ray and Apple TV with HDMI out to the TV. That is great but you also then start to need a universal remote to control all the bits too.

Based on your first post, I vote sound bar.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/best-soundbars-to-buy-in-2013

D4RK1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you can, as others have said. Go for a full 5.1 set up. In the living room we've got a denon avr and monitor audio rs6 floor standers, centre and wall speakers for the rear. The sub is a bit of a WMD :clap: it's an SVS moster, well worth looking at if your big into your films. Up stairs I've got an onkyo avr running more monitor audio speakers. Similar to downstairs but have bookshelf speakers for the rears, I don't run the sub upstairs as it's mostly used for the xbox. It's a small room at doesn't require the extra bass. AV Forums will consume your life haha. I spent about 12 months just choosing our tv. I spent far too much time reading but it came good in the end. The only thing I haven't done yet, that I'd like to do is a drop down screen and projector set up. I keep spunking all my money on beer, golf, bikes and cars though :)Keep us posted with what you go for buddy. Mark