Bose v Sonos v suggestions??

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking to buy a decent set up for my living room.

Thinking sound bar with associated woofer and (maybe) small satellite speakers in a kind of 5.1 setup

Now I have a sky Q box and will predominately use this as the master unit for TV, film, watching YouTube, Spotify and streaming Bluetooth music to.

The sound system will just be the slave.

The most obvious choices are bose or Sonos but what I’d like to know is which sounds better for stereo music.

Yes I watch telly and would like surround sound when watching films etc

However I really want something that sounds AMAZING when I play music through it

As a bonus I’d like something that is capable of giving me proper stereo through both the sound bar and the satellite speakers.

Alternatively though I could ignore the rear speakers and just go for a sound bar / base and woofer setup.

Key thing is that the sound quality, depth, warmth and clarity is the dogs danglers for music.

I’ve found plenty or reviews of all manner of systems, however I’ve tended to find they mostly concentrate on the features and compatibility if each system. Not much info on how they sound (appreciate that sound is quite subgective to the individual listener)

Budget is around 1500 to 2k

Help is really appreciated before I demo any kit.

I have an open mind on make model etc

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I run a Yamaha av amp and Keff eggs with sub.
Perfectly good enough to give me all the sound effects my neighbours can stand:eek:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers. I imagine having never owned any bose that it’s great kit. Any ideas what the sound is like in comparison to say Sonos?

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers. I imagine having never owned any bose that it’s great kit. Any ideas what the sound is like in comparison to say Sonos?

No sorry, I don’t have anything Sonos so I can’t give you a comparison. I do have a Bose system in my living room, and it’s everything I want it to be, the sound clarity is brilliant and fills the room.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a big Sonos fan, I've got a couple of play 5s in my kitchen and the sound is very good. Deep and rich , even with the speakers at full tilt there is no distortion.

I also use a Sonos amp to drive a couple of floor standing speakers, again , excellent sound.

I've got some play 1s around the house and though the sound is great from them , if you want deep warm and loud then you need to get 5s. You can stereo pair them also.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave, I've got a Sonos set up that you're more than welcome to pop down and have a gander at if you fancy.. Might even treat you to a drink...

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny you should bump this thread Danny. Cheers for the offer.

I bought this yesterday.

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/b...ylZp_L-lS08D1N62VTh_pX4EiIiGOt4gaAuRsEALw_wcB

Did a head to head in this and the sonos sound bar plus sub. Both sounded gorgeous, but my preference was for the warmer tones of the bose. The sub is weaponised sound. Packs a huge punch but is to tight sounding.

I used ‘Ceremony’ by New order, ‘Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space’ by Spiritulized and ‘pretty pimpin’ by kurt vile as my tracks

Yes I know I have exquisite taste.... 😉

Sonos prices are pretty rigid at the moment too...

Would be around 400 more for the similar sonos rig. no Brainer really.

It arrives on Monday hopefully.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a note to anyone interested in buying a good cinema / music setup.

This arrived yesterday and was fully installed and configured in about an hour (with sky q and xbox1)

It sounds immense. Absolutely amazing

So much better than my old (and pretty expensive LG) system.

Strongly strongly recommend one.